39 | Everything Will Look Up Eventually

Hagrid was back.

Those were the words I heard upon arriving back at Hogwarts after the holidays, and nothing could have lifted my spirits higher. Hagrid was the teacher we went to when we needed help, and somehow he had been gone during a year where we needed the most help.

Placing one foot in front of the other and watching where I was going, I ran down the hill towards Hagrid's house with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, our robes flying in the wind behind us as we did so.

"I will say this one last time." Umbridge's voice came from inside Hagrid's house, causing us to skid to a stop just outside the front door. "I'm ordering you to tell me where you've been."

"I told you." Hagrid sighed as we peeked through the window. "I've been away for me health."

"Your health?"

Hagrid nodded, looking down at the short woman who barely reached his waist. "Yeah. Bit of fresh air, you know."

"Oh, yes. As gamekeeper, fresh air must be difficult to come by." Umbridge smiled at him, somehow thinking that a smile would make the terrible things she said okay. "If I were you, I shouldn't get too used to being back. In fact, I mightn't bother unpacking at all."

As soon as Umbridge had left, we knocked on the door and entered Hagrid's place. His face had some cuts on it, and he held a raw piece of meat to the wounds as he invited us in. "This is top-secret, right?" he told us. "Dumbledore sent me to parley with the giants."

"Giants?" Hermione gasped. "You found them?"

"Well, they're not that hard to find, to be perfectly honest. They're so big, see?" Hagrid said as we sat at the table with cups of tea. "I tried to convince them to join the cause. But I wasn't the only one that was trying to win them over."

I fiddled with the corner of my robe. "Death Eaters?"

"Yes." Hagrid nodded. "Trying to persuade them to join You-Know-Who."

"Did they?" Harry inquired.

"I gave them Dumbledore's message. Suppose some of them remember he was friendly to them. I suppose."

Harry gestured to the cuts on Hagrid's face. "And they did this to you?"

"Not exactly, no." Hagrid tossed the meat to Fang, who was barking. "Oh, go on, you have it, then, you dozy dog."

Hearing the wind pick up, followed by more of Fang's barking─and not because he was hungry this time─we all moved over to the window. The clouds were coming fast, bringing darkness with them. "It's changing out there," Hagrid commented. "Just like last time. There's a storm coming, Harry. We'd all best be ready when she does."

_______________

The next day, the whole school was buzzing with the news about what had happened the night before. A bunch of very dangerous wizards and witches had escaped Azkaban, but of course, the Ministry was blaming it on Sirius. They couldn't possibly take responsibility for their actions and admit they were wrong, so they blamed it on whoever was convenient.

"Dumbledore warned Fudge this could happen," Hermione grumbled as we walked into the Dining Hall. "Fudge is gonna get us all killed just because he can't face the truth."

"Harry." Seamus stood up as we walked past. "I wanted to apologize. Now even me mum says the Prophet's version of things don't add up. So, what I'm really trying to say is that I believe you."

After breakfast, Harry and I were heading into the Room of Requirements to get everything ready for that day's lesson when we saw Neville standing alone in front of the mirror. "Neville?" Harry asked as we walked over to him.

Neville remained silent at first, just staring at his reflection. "Fourteen years ago...a Death Eater named Bellatrix Lestrange used a Cruciatus Curse on my parents." Neville finally said, mentioning the name of one of the escaped Azkaban prisoners. "She tortured them for information but they never gave in. I'm quite proud to be their son. But I'm not sure I'm ready for everyone to know just yet."

Harry nodded. "We're gonna make them proud, Neville. That's a promise."

In class that day, Harry was teaching us the Patronus charm, one of the most difficult to master, but also one of the most effective. "Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember." Harry encouraged us as we walked around. "Allow it to fill you up. Keep trying, Seamus. George, your turn now."

"Expecto Patronum." George yelled, but nothing happened. To be fair though, it wasn't working for everyone just yet.

Harry just smiled. "A full-bodied Patronus is the most difficult to produce...but shield forms can also be equally useful against a variety of opponents. Fantastic, Ginny. Just remember, your Patronus can only protect you for as long as you stay focused. So focus, Luna. Think of the happiest thing you can."

"Expecto Patronum." I smiled, casting my spell and watching as the blue light from my wand transformed into a glowing fox. Perking its ears up, it stared at me for a second before trotting around the air, the blue light following it wherever it went.

"I did it!" I squealed. "I can't believe I did it."

Harry walked over, a proud smile on his face. "Perfect! What did you think of?"

"My first day at Hogwarts," I answered, my first day being the most nerve-wracking but also happiest day of my life.

"Good. Just think of that whenever you cast the spell."

Just then, the lights of the large chandelier hanging from the ceiling flickered before cutting out completely. The room started to shake slightly as dust fell from the roof, and all of the Patronus' disappeared. With one more loud crash, the mirrors on the walls shattered, revealing a small triangle hole in the wall.

Stepping closer, Nigel peered through the hole. "I'll make short work of this," Umbridge spoke from the other side as she held her wand up. "Bombarda Maxima."

Seconds later, Umbridge burst a hole in the wall, sending chunks of stone flying everywhere. Grabbing my robe, George stepped in front of me, making sure I wasn't hit by any of the rubble even though everyone seemed to be okay in the end.

Stepping into sight, Draco pulled Cho along with him, letting us know that she was the one who snitched. "Get them," Umbridge ordered.

One by one they pulled us out of the room, dragging Harry and Cho off to Dumbledore's office in the process. Things escalated quickly after that, and Umbridge replaced Dumbledore as headmaster.

"Boys and girls are not permitted to be within eight inches of each other." Umbridge's voice came over the school intercoms."Those wishing to join the Inquisitorial Squad for extra credit may do so by visiting my office. Students will be submitted to questioning about suspected illicit activities. Any student in noncompliance will be expelled."

The castle was locked up and every single student who was a part of Harry's class was given punishment together. Rows of desks sat in an otherwise empty room, and with the special quills, we wrote the required statement on our sheets of paper and, indirectly, our skin, while Umbridge sat, drinking tea and watching.

Once we were dismissed, we all stood up and headed for the door, where Cho was watching as we were punished. Everyone glared at her, knowing that she was the reason everything was ruined.

"Are you okay?" George asked, taking my hand in his as we left.

"Boy and girls are not permitted to be within eight inches of each other," Umbridge yelled across the room at us.

Fearing more punishment, George and I jumped away from each other absentmindedly, even though I knew that all I wanted to do at that moment was hug him. "Yeah, I'm okay," I answered his question. "You?"

"Fine."

Once we were out of Umbridge's sight and well away from the room where we had served our punishment, George cupped my face with his hands and kissed me. "I'd take that punishment every day if it means getting to touch you," he whispered.

Placing my hands on his chest, it took everything I had to push him back a few inches. "Everything will look up eventually." I repeated the words he had told me on Christmas back to him. "We don't need any more trouble. Trust me, this can't go on forever."