23 | Sirius Black

Heading outside with the three people I was always seen with, we watched a man as he sat in the middle of the courtyard on one of the stone benches, a black mask over his face as he sharpened the large blade that would be used to kill Buckbeak.

Together, the four of us headed across the large bridge, toward the place that Hagrid taught his classes, and more recently, where Buckbeak was being held. "I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak." I exhaled. "It's just too horrible."

As we emerged from the other side of the bridge, we spotted Malfoy and his goons standing on the ledge, overlooking Hagrid's class buildings. "It just got worse." Ron crossed his arms over his chest.

Angry, we stormed over. "Look who's here." Draco greeted us in his usual manner. "Come to see the show?"

"You!" I seethed, pulling my wand out and backing Draco against a rock. "You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach! How dare you sit there and smile while an innocent creature is going to put to death! All because you were too stupid to follow the rules in the first place. I outta-"

"Yavana, no!" Ron stopped me. "He's not worth it."

Watching as Draco whimpered, his face turning red as I pressed my want against the skin of his neck, I decided that seeing him nearly shit his pants was good enough for me and backed away. Instantly, though, Draco went from crying to laughing again, and that did it.

Spinning back around, I punched him square in the nose. "Don't think I need magic to kick your ass," I warned him as he and his friends ran off, screaming as they did so.

"That was brilliant." Hermione smiled.

I sighed, shaking my hand slightly to try and forget about the slight pain in my knuckles. "I did it for Buckbeak."

After that, we descended down the steps towards the building, where Buckbeak was chained up and lying down in the middle of a small pumpkin patch. He looked happy enough if you didn't consider the fact that he was no longer free.

"Look at him." Hagrid gushed as we stared at Buckbeak through the open window of the small hut, which was full of magical creatures. "Loves the smell of the trees when the wind blows through them."

I looked up at the large man. "Why don't we just set him free?"

"They'd know it was me, and then Dumbledore would get into trouble," Hagrid answered, his own words barely enough to convince himself against doing it. "He's coming down, you know, Dumbledore. Says he wants to be with me when they...when it happens. Great man, Dumbledore. A great man."

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid." Hermione offered.

Hagrid shook his head. "You'll do no such thing! Think I want you seeing something like that? No. You just drink your tea and be off. Oh. Before you do, Ron..."

Walking over to a small container, Hagrid opened the lid and picked the all too familiar brown rat out of it. "Scabbers!" Ron stood up and took the rat from Hagrid. "You're alive!"

"Keep a closer eye on your pets, Ron," Hagrid told him.

"I think that means you owe someone an apology." Hermione turned to him.

"Right." Ron nodded. "Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know."

"I meant me!" Hermione huffed as a rock flew through the window and broke the pot behind her on the counter.

Hagrid turned to look to the broken item. "Blimey. What was that?"

Just then, something else flew through the window and hit Harry in the head. Turning around, Harry noticed Dumbledore, the man with the large blade, and the Minister of Magic walking towards down the path.