Chapter 106 -- Safehouse

Midge enjoyed his comfortable bed at Sir Guy's and stayed in it, a pillow hugged to his chest, until he heard who he thought must be Misses Guy up and working in the kitchen. He'd been told last night that he was free to roam the bottom floor of the house but he hadn't wanted to do anything wrong. Jail was not somewhere he ever wanted to go again. "Good morning Ma'am" he said, padding into the kitchen.

"Hey sweet thang, how did you sleep? You sure look better than you did last night, that's for sure. You hungry?" she asked in a rich southern drawl.

He grinned at her then and nodded his head an emphatic yes. "May I help?" She was voluptuous and curvy and Midge thought she had the prettiest smile he'd ever seen. She also had higher hair than he'd ever seen except for a guy he saw on TV once with a mohawk. Hers was poofy though, and so blond it was almost white, and just.... everywhere. He had decided that he liked and trusted her as soon as he'd been introduced last night when she blew in from the grocery store laden with bags.

"Oh no sugar, you just sit right there. Now, what do you like? I've got lots of bacon and some ham slices, and I could whip you up some french toast. How does that sound?"

"I like all of those things very much. But I do not want you to go to any trouble."

"Oh hush, we've all gotta eat and it's no problem. Haven't met a Neko yet who doesn't like some meat for breakfast and no one, human or not, has ever not liked my french toast. Now, while I cook, why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself. You've been living in L.A., is that right?" She was her husbands number one weapon and best spy. It had always been hard getting the females to talk, many were just scared senseless of him but they always had an easier time opening up to her. If I've told him once I've told him a million times to not be so damn forceful and scary. Wouldn't hurt him to smile at them once in awhile either.

"Yes I live in Los Angeles with my Scott."

"My Scott, isn't that cute? You like him?"

"Very much. He is wonderful."

"Well that does my heart good to hear you say that child. Yes, yes it does."

"Do you know what will happen? When I may go home?"

"Oh that's not up to me love, there are things to do before then, you know. We need to get you some papers and registered first off, plus see to any other issues going on. You don't worry about that, Guy'll take care of it all for ya. Now, here's your milk."

"Will I see my family? I am sorry to ask, but it has been hard to wait."

"Well coffee's brewing which means that lug of a man will be downstairs any minute now. Now, I'm gonna give you a piece of advice. You ready?"

"Yes ma'am." he said, eyes wide.

"Don't say anything 'cept 'good morning' to him until he's had at LEAST one cup of coffee, and I wouldn't ask anything hard until he's had most of a second cup. He'll talk when he's ready, alright?"

"Yes ma'am, thank you. I would not want to make him angry."

"Oh that's not the problem honey, I just don't want him to scare you. He's not a morning person dear, that's all."

"He is coming down the stairs now."

"Oh good, we'll be eating in just a minute then" she said, putting the battered bread into the pan. "Remember, yes and no answers only if you're asked. Hush now" she said, grinning.

Midge listened to the bread sizzling, as content as he could be without his Scott. This actually felt much like the first few days with him had, although Sir and Missus seemed to understand Nekos much better than Scott had and it was nice to not have to explain himself so much.

"Mornin'" Guy mumbled, sitting down and cupping the coffee cup which appeared in front of him with two hands. He sent a nod over towards Midge but knew Kimberly had probably warned him. It wasn't his fault he could barely breathe in the mornings, must less talk or think.

"Morning love, here's your breakfast" she said, setting a plate down in front of him and then one for Midge. "Eat up boys, let me know if you need anything else."

Midge ate his bacon and then his ham, enjoying every bite. He had not had much to eat the past few days and his nose twitched at the delicious smells. He was quiet and used his manners until he bit into the first piece of toast. "Oh god" he murmured softly.

Mrs. Guy laughed, then gave him a wink. "Told you. Good, ain't it?"

"This is amazing. Thank you so much" he replied.

"What he said" Guy mumbled. "Thanks. More coffee?"

"You got it dear" she answered, topping up his cup.

Midge took a deep breath, enjoying the smell and watched it pour into Mister Guy's cup, steaming.

"You want a cup of coffee Midge? I should have offered" she said.

"If I may, I like it very much. Only one, please" he answered excitedly.

"Like him more all the time" Guy muttered. "Kid after my own heart."

"Alrighty, here you go. Now you boys finish up your breakfast and then we can have a nice talk in the living room, isn't that right Guy?"

"Yeah, yeah, after coffee."