Chapter 39 -- Ears

Midge looked at his phone when it rang, alarmed, then back at Scott.

"Who is it?"

"It says... Kelly?  Does she have my phone number?"

"Yep, hit the green button and answer if you want, or she'll leave you a message."

"Hello?"

        "Hey Midge, how are you?" she asked.

"I am.... well.  I am fine.  How are you?"

        "Oh I'm great.  I wanted to find out how dinner went and when you're coming back."

"We are back now.  I had a very nice dinner, thank you." Before that was not so good, but the picnic on the bed in the hotel was very nice.  Afterwards was even more fun.

        "I have an idea to run by you, do you have a minute?"

"I can ask Scott, but I believe I do.  Scott, do I have a minute?"

"Of course" he chuckled "talk all you want.  I'm going to unpack."

"Yes, I have many minutes."

        "You are adorbs.  So I was wondering if your ears bend.  Okay, that sounded weird.  I was doing my hair this morning and I realized that it shouldn't be too hard to hide your ears, so you don't have to worry about them and wear a hoodie when it's 80 degrees.  Have you ever tried?"

"No, I have never tried to hide my ears.  I can put them down, but if I forget they will come back up.  Is that a helpful answer to your question?"

        "Yep" she said, popping the 'p'.  "So, can I come over and play with you?  You can tell me all about yesterday and we'll see what we can do with helping you blend in a bit better."

"I... I do not mind but I must ask Scott, I think.  Can you wait for me?"

        "Sure. You really are super sweet, no wonder he's crazy about you.  Go ahead."

"Scott?" he asked, peeking his head into the bedroom.

"Yes?"

"Kelly has asked me if she can come over to play."

Scott threw his head back and laughed.  "I love that girl.  Would you like her to come?"

"Yes, I think so.  Is it okay if I ask her to not bring her dog?  Or would that be rude?"

"I don't think she would do that Midge, but yes, you can tell her that the invitation is only for her."

"Thank you" he answered, and walked back to the living room and picked up his phone. "Scott says that is it alright for you to come and play and that it is okay that I do not want you to bring the dog."

        "Deal, no Olaf.  Is an hour from now okay?  I'm going to put together a few.... okay a LOT of stuff.  Bags worth.  And then I'll be over soon."

"That is fine.  I will be here."

        "Byyyeeeeeeeeee Midge."

Scott opened the door 45 minutes later for Kelly and took two bags out of her hands.  "Damn girl, what did you bring?"

        "Hey, you never know what you're going to need.  I like to be prepared.  Why is it so quiet in here?  It's so weird, since Midge moved in there's no music."

Midge looked at Scott, worried.  "Why do you not have music now?"

"I guess I just noticed that you don't really like loud sounds, and you were so skittish it just seemed like you'd be more comfortable with it quieter. I don't know.  Would you like to listen to some?"

"Yes please, as long as it is not too loud."

"Any preferences?"

"I do not know much, mostly what Trent called 'the oldies'.  Whatever you would like is fine."

        Scott looked at Kirstie, one eyebrow raised, and she nodded her head.  "Oh yeah, put the Queen on.  Time for a music lesson Midge.  How many days has it been since you listened to Beyonce, Scott?  Should I call a doctor?"

"This may be the longest stretch in history.  No wonder I got sick...."  He saw Midge's face and clarified "Joke, Midge, just kidding.  Although music is good for the soul.  Now Kelly what exactly is all this stuff for?"

        "I'm going to see if we can hide Midge's cat ears.  Can you hear out of both, I mean all four of them?  Both sets?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Maybe you won't be quite so sensitive to noise this way."

        Kelly sat on the couch and told Scott to move the coffee table out of the way.  "Now, can you sit between my knees Midge?  Promise you'll tell me if I pull, or if anything hurts, okay?"

"If you would like."

        Kelly spent a few minutes gently brushing his hair out of the way so she could see what she was working with.  "Do they bend forwards easiest or?"

Midge laid his ears down flat.  "They go this way, or perhaps more front, but not back."

        "Wow, they're like gone. Okay, would they be comfortable if I made them stay there?"

"Yes, they do not bother me this way."

        She tried barrettes which pinched, bobby pins which didn't stay very well,  then a headband which worked fine except that you could see it a bit on the sides and it drew attention to itself.  The ears were easily covered, it was the keeping them down that was tough.  She took off the headband and ruffled his hair and he leaned against her knee.  "You like having your hair played with?"

"Very much"

        "Me too.  I don't want to treat you too much like a cat though, I worry I'll offend you."

"I am hard to offend, especially if you are trying to be kind."

Scott was belting as he wandered around the apartment, finally taking the time to handle his mail and do a million little things that had piled up the last two weeks.

        "I've got it!  Why didn't I think of this before???  I'm going to glue them."

That got Scott's attention.  "WHAT?"

        "Not glue, glue.  You know when women need to hold up their dresses?  There's tape, and then there's spirit gum and it works wonders.  It'll probably hold until he washes his hair, but you'd be able to peel them up carefully if you need to.  Can I try?"

"I am in your hands, I do not mind." Midge answered, lifting his head.

        She parted his hair carefully and brushed some on, then folded his ear down and held it a moment.  She lifted her finger slowly, but the ear stayed down.  "Does that hurt?"

"No.  It is weird to be down, I can feel it, but it is fine."

"Okay fine or really fine?" Scott asked.  "It's not like you can't wear a hat, this doesn't have to work."

"Please do the other.  I think some of the weirdness is because they are different."  The other ear was soon also down and he felt Kelly smooth his hair down over them.

        "Why don't you try to wiggle them, or lift them?  But only if it doesn't hurt."

"I am now, but I do not think they are moving."

        "Nope!  I totally did it."