Chapter 66 -- Police

Scott ran up the stairs to his apartment just as the two police officers were coming down and they asked him to wait outside once they had his permission to head into the apartment to take a look around. He sat on the step thinking about Midge, and Zac, and the scene he'd just made. He wasn't sure what he'd do if Midge decided to stay with Zac, but he couldn't blame him too much after he'd spewed so much bullshit.

Now that he wasn't standing in front of them, both half naked, Scott knew he'd overreacted. He glanced down at his bracelet and gave it a spin. Midge wouldn't. He was 'owned' at least in his mind and he wouldn't have done anything even IF Zac had tried and there was no way he had. Scott had to accept the fact that he'd been an ass.

He tried Midge's number, wanting to apologize and make sure he was alright. He was probably hurt, and upset, and also had what appeared to be a rather unhappy hangover. What he didn't have, apparently, was his phone. Scott shoved the useless thing back in his pocket and spent a few minutes trying to listen to what was going on in his apartment.

When it rang a few minutes later he grabbed at it, hoping Midge had called him back. Instead, it was Kelly. "Hey girl. Pack your pills in my bag again?"

"One time, it was ONE TIME dork. No. I was thinking that you're probably not willing to let him go, but if you're finished getting it on, maybe I could take Midge shopping? It's Black Friday and tradition and I figured he's never done it."

"Actually, that would be amazing. He's at Zac's and I have shit at the apartment I have to handle. Can you call Zac and pick him up from there? Make sure they know you asked and I'm fine with it."

"You gotta loosen the apron strings a little there, boo."

"No, no, just a rough morning. I was an ass."

"Too much detail! Lalalalaaa lalalalalaaa"

"STOP. I wasn't talking about sex you thirsty woman. Go get Midge and I'll call when I'm finished here, okay?"

"Will do. Byeeee."

"Mr. Hoying?" the female officer called from his doorway.

"Yes?" He stood and brushed off his pants.

"We need you to come in here a moment. Don't touch anything at all please, we have a few prints still setting up. Follow me."

He stepped through the doorway and past the kitchen, but stopped in the middle of the living room even though the officer had moved into the bedroom. Midge's beautiful artwork was ripped from the walls, torn to tiny shreds. Everything that had been on a table or the counter was now on the floor, along with a lot of glass from his television.

"Mr. Hoying? In here please" she called.

He put one foot in front of the other and walked into the room, where the two officers stood staring at the wall across from his bed. There, written in black was "Midge is mine!"

"Who, or what is a Midge?" the older, male officer asked.

"He's.... he's my boyfriend."

"We'll need a list of his previous relationships, and to speak to him as soon as possible. Where is he now?"

"He's with a friend of ours."

"He didn't go out of town with you?"

"No, he stayed behind and had Thanksgiving with friends."

"Do you have any idea who would have done this?"

"I.... yes. I... I just need to talk to Midge first. I'm not sure what he'll want to do. Do we have to press charges or is it up to us?"

"That's up to you but if it were me, I'd be doing it by the book and quickly. Incidences like these often escalate and i wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt."

"Thank you officer. I'll talk to him." He took the card he was offered and put it in his pocket. "Did he have a key? Can you tell?"

"No, he picked the lock but I wouldn't stay here until it's replaced, just in case. Do you have somewhere else to stay for a few days?"

"Yeah, yeah, that's not a problem. Can I grab some clothes and things real quick?"

"Sure, just try not to disturb too much. The fingerprints are finished and we took photos already, but we may need to come back so leave it like this at least until tomorrow evening, alright? And lock the door when you leave." She headed towards the kitchen and Scott walked the two officers out.

"Thank you both, very much."

"You're welcome Mr. Hoying. Stay safe, and let us know what you'd like to do."

As soon as they left he closed and locked the door behind him and leaned against it. Steven. How the fuck does he know where I live? He grabbed his phone and called Zac, begging him to keep Midge at his apartment and safe. Then he called Kelly and called off the shopping trip.

He slid to the floor and pulled his knees up, wrapping his arms around them. They had a new apartment as of December 1st, he'd decided to pay double rent to make moving easy. He was SO glad he hadn't pushed it off until the New Year. He just had to figure out who Steven was and how he had found them, and keep Midge safe for another week. Maybe staying with Zac would be the best thing for him.