Chapter 90 -- Recording

Scott was absolutely entranced and chortled softly when Kelly reminded him to breathe.  He glanced around, slightly embarrassed but realized that he wasn't the only one.  In fact, everyone in the room, Kelly included, had a look on their face that was a mix of being stuffed full after Thanksgiving diner and being in a field watching shooting stars at night.

Midge finished, the background vocals dying out, and he waited for further instructions.  All the people involved had been so patient with him, showing him how things worked and explaining exactly what would happen.  Scott had promised not to leave his side and he'd been true to his word.  He was smiling at him even now, so he returned the grin and then looked towards the man who had been talking to him through his headphones earlier.

        "Oh, sorry, uh, yeah, that was perfect" he said, regaining his composure.  "Let's break.  Mitch you can put the headphones down right on that stool and come on out."

"It's Midge" Scott said under his breath, again.

        "Actually, I was thinking we should talk about that." Avi said, leaning in towards him.  "You said some guy tried to take him, right?  Maybe we should change his name so people can't find him.  Midge sort of stands out man, ya know?"

Scott had never considered that seeing Midge's name in print could cause him trouble. "Shit, maybe you're right.... Hey" he said as he turned toward Midge, putting his arm around his shoulders in greeting.  "We should consider that Avi, maybe you're right."  He led Midge towards the break room and grabbed them each some water before finding a seat. How in the world do I bring this up without accidentally freaking him out?  "Midge?"

"Yes Scott?"

"Avi mentioned something to me and it sort of got me thinking, so I wanted to know how you felt about it."

"Okay.  It sounds important."

"It is, in some ways.  But it is 100% up to you, alright?"

"Maybe you should just say it instead of worrying."

Scott nodded, his lips pursed.  "You're probably right.  Avi was wondering if putting your name on the album, and just out more in general society as you meet more people, might not put you in danger.  I mean, Midge is a pretty uncommon name.  Do you think we should call you something else to keep you safe?  Would it help?  Would you mind?  What do you think?  Am I overthinking things?"

"Are you done?" he asked, head tilted to the side.

"Um, yeah, I guess so."

"I do not mind if you do not use my name on the album at all.  In life, I do not think it would make much difference either way.  I used to hope, well, that maybe my family would want to contact me or find me, but that is not going to happen so it does not matter.  I do not mind having a new name, although if it is very different I may forget to answer.  Would that make you angry?"

        Kelly was seated next to Scott and overheard most of their conversation.  "Does that mean I couldn't call you Scodge any more?  It has a nice ring to it.  I wanted to call you Midgott but Jeremy worried someone would be offended if they overhead.  He had a point.... um, sorry, butting out now."

"Where did you come up with Scodge?  That sounds like some skin disease.  It's Smidge, obviously" Scott answered, poking her in the side gently until she swatted his hand away.

        "Like a smidge of this and a smidge of that?" she asked, grinning.  "Certainly fits Midge to a T.  Okay, potty break.  Behave yourselves boys."

"We could just use Mitch, everyone calls you that anyway.  Heck, Kevin does it half the time even now.  Plus, it sounds a lot like it so you wouldn't be confused all the time.  I don't know if it helps if the name is that close though.  I don't know... it's up to you."

"Perhaps we could try it out and see how it feels?  What is it you always say?  'You won't know unless you try'?"

"Alright Mid-tch.  It's SO WEIRD to call you something else.  I literally don't know if I can do it."       

"You seem able to do almost anything, my Scott.  I...'m sure you can do this too."

"You and your contractions, you crack me up."

"I was told I might fit in more, sound more...." he stood on his tiptoes and whispered into Scott's ear "human."

        Jonathan came out of the studio and gathered everyone around.  "What you guys did today sounds AMAZING.  Mitch, your vocals were angellic.  I'd like to let the engineers mix these a bit, work with what we have.  You may get lucky and have the day off tomorrow but you can certainly take the rest of today.  I'll call everyone later, alright?"

Scott took Midge by the shoulders and turned him so they were facing.  "Do you know what this means?"

"No?" he asked, wide-eyed.

"Christmas shopping.  Miiiiiitch, you are about to go to....... drumroll please..... the MALL."

        "I'm IN!" Kelly said, grabbing his hand.  "I can NOT wait to see your reaction!"