Chapter 7 -- Distractions

Midge sighed when the door closed, then stripped out of his clothes and snuggled into the blankets on the couch. He had never seen the cartoon that was playing on the TV but he didn't mind. He was happy to be alone and relaxed but this wasn't home and he wasn't quite comfortable. He didn't know if he'd ever have a home again, the months since Trent left him had been some of the worst of his life. No, not worst, just saddest.

Today though, he was warm. His belly was still comfortably full and he stretched out languidly, turning onto his back and tuning out the television. He forced himself to take the time to come up with a real plan. Yesterday when he'd escaped, he had acted rashly and he was lucky it had worked out as well as it had. He'd been desperate, but now he wasn't and he needed to figure things out before he did something stupid.

When Scott had first approached him he'd almost said 'no' to his offer of dinner but the cold and rain had forced him inside. He'd told himself that after the past month, he could put up with anything for one night, but Scott hadn't used him. Why not? Maybe Scott didn't like him? But if not, why was he being kind? That human was confusing him.

His brain was screaming that he should leave, in fact he had planned to right after breakfast, but where would he go? He had no where to go and no one to care for him, and that was the trap. What options did he have? Live on the streets and eat out of trash cans? Yes, for a chance to be free, it was worth it. But it was dangerous, cold, and most of all lonely.

Maybe this, here, with Scott, would be better. He could offer his services and see how things went. If he stayed kind, maybe HE could stay. And if Scott wasn't, he could always leave then, right? He wasn't so far up in this building, he could climb out the window if he needed to. There didn't seem to be a fancy alarm to contend with either. Scott had left him free, he wasn't leashed and collared or locked in the room. Would he start doing so after they had an agreement? Somehow, he just didn't think so. His eyes were so kind....

If he couldn't offer himself, he would try to help Scott by cleaning up the apartment. He was used to cleaning up and enjoyed it. He explored the few bits of the apartment he hadn't yet, then took care of his chores before curling up for a nap.

*** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Scott worked hard to focus on the new arrangment they were working on. As soon as they broke into groups or a conversation started, he was lost in thought though.

"Earth to Scotty" Avi said, waving his hand in front of his face.

"Yeah? Sorry."

"Can we try the break with lines 3 and 4 repeated at the end?"

"Sure, okay..... 1, 2, 3, 4..." It worked better that way, and they finally took a 15 minute break. He wandered to the bathroom and when he came out, Kelly flagged him down.

"You're thinking about him, aren't you?"

"Yeah. Sorry I'm a little spacey."

"I don't blame you, he's cute. But seriously, he thinks he's a cat?"

"I guess I misunderstood."

"You're lying to me, Scott Richard. Don't. What is it?"

"Kake, will you SWEAR to not tell anyone? Not even Avi and Kevin?"

She let out a huge sigh, then shifted to her other foot. "Okay, yeah. I'm worried enough to agree to anything."

"He has ears and a tail. He really is part cat." He watched her eyes go big and the corners of her mouth tilt up. "No, really."

"Okay, fine. If that's the way you want to play it, fine, I'll drop it. But eventually, you'll tell me the truth. I'm going to be watching you."

Scott considered arguing the point, but clamped his mouth shut. "We should get started, I don't want to be late getting home."

*** *** *** *** *** ***

He unlocked the door and walked in. The kitchen was clean, everything put away. The floor had been mopped, the carpet in the living room vacuumed. The TV was still on but the volume was turned off and Midge was curled up in the blankets asleep.

Scott stood a moment just watching him. His hair was sticking up where it had fallen over his ear and the only other part of him he could see was a bit of his nose and his eyes. He'd never seen anyone bury themselves that well.

Hunger won out, and he decided to wake him up. "Midge? I'm home."

"I know. Good evening" came the small reply. He didn't sound asleep, but he didn't move either.

"Do you like Chinese?"

"Food? I will eat anything but yes, I think I do."

Scott rummaged through the pile of menus and grabbed his favorite, then handed it to Midge. "Let me know what you'd like."

Midge stared at it, then opened it up, hoping for pictures. No, only words. "You can choose for me, please?" He held it back towards Scott.

"I don't know you well enough to pick. Do you like spicy food or not? I... breakfast is one thing but this is much harder, you should pick."

Midge panicked, not wanting to admit his failures to him yet. "Can I have shrimp? And noodles? I love shrimp."

"Shrimp lo mein it is. Sure." He grabbed the phone and ordered, then sat down next to him on the couch. "I love Sponge Bob, can we turn it up?"

"Of course, whatever you like." He relaxed then, watching the silly square boy and his friends. When he heard the knock on the door he buried his head under the blankets.

Scott paid the delivery guy and started taking packages out of the bag. "All set Midge, want to eat at the counter today?"

"Sure." He stood and padded over to the stool, not remembering he wasn't supposed to be naked until Scott dropped a container of rice all over the floor. "I am sorry, I willl.... I will dress and then clean that up. I am so sorry."

"It's, okay... yeah, just get dressed, please." He watched his retreating back head towards the bathroom, the image of Midge's beautiful body burned into his brain forever.