Chapter 52 -- Dancing

Midge couldn't sit still more than eight minutes.  Scott had dared him to try for five minutes and he made it, but by the eighth he gave up and stood behind the couch, Marley in his arms.  "This movie is no fun.  Can I change the channels?"

"Sure, whatever floats your boat."  He handed it over and grabbed his phone, sending a text to Lisa and setting up a tutoring lesson.

Midge went through all 212 channels once.  Then again.  On the third time through he found the ice skating and stopped, mouth gaping open.  "She is beautiful!"

Scott looked up briefly and nodded.  "Yep."  Then he was back to his phone.

Midge sat Marley down next to Scott and leaped to the back of the couch, leg outstretched, as she glided across the ice.  Then he jumped down, rotating on the way.

"I'm SO going to record this" Scott said, turning around on the couch to get a better view.  He watched as Midge twirled and leaped from one end of the living room to the other, then did a spin on top of the coffee table as the skater finished her program.

"Will there be more?"

"I think so, we'll have to wait a minute and see."  He was half hoping there would be a million more because Midge was enjoying it so thoroughly but he wasn't sure the furniture, or the apartment would take too much more.

"I wish I could do it for real" Midge said, his eyes fixated on the screen.

"I'm sure we can make that happen a little closer to the holidays, but it's not as easy as they make it look.  I fell about 39 times the last time i went and almost ran over Kelly once.  Speaking of which, I always go home for Christmas, do you want to come?"

"To your home?  With your family?"

"Yep.  Wanna meet the rest of the clan?  It's a while out yet, we have Thanksgiving first but I can't go home this year.  Damn, we'd have to drive.  Shit.  Oh well, we'll make it work, somehow, if you want to come."

Midge finally sat down, weighed down by his words.  "You would like me to meet your family?"

"Yes.  Absolutely."  He took his hand, knowing this was hard for him to accept.  "You're a huge part of my life and they will love you."

"I would like to meet them, if it is possible.  But I understand you would fly, so I can stay here, it is not a problem."

"Midge, I'm not leaving you alone while I go.  That's not happening.  What do you like to do for Christmas, Thanksgiving?  Any traditions?"

"No."

"From when you were a kid?  I don't know anything about you.  Where are you from?  Where were you born?"

"Texas."

"Texas?  Are you kidding me?"

"No, I am not."

"That's where I'm from!  How did you end up in Los Angeles?" he asked, surprised.

"I rode in a car" he answered. He thought Scott understood that he could not fly.

"Funny.  You are such a dork.  So your family is still down there?  Your mother?"

"I do not know but it is possible."

"We should see them, do you want to visit?  Where in Texas are you from?"

"You are silly, and have had too much coffee I think."

"ME?"  Scott shook in laughter, then pulled Midge close.  "You, my little skater, are full of surprises.  Why didn't you tell me you were from Texas?  I want to know everything."

Midge was staring at the television, the program having switched to the male skaters.  "You did not ask.  They do not skate as pretty as the girls, and their outfits are boring, but it is still amazing.  Can I really try it?"

"We'll add it to the list of 'everything in the world I need to show Midge'.  For now though, have you ever danced?"

"Danced?"

Scott stood and held out his hand.

"Like in the movies?"

"Mmmhmm but I'm not going to wear a dress" he joked.

"I would, they are beautiful.  I like when they twirl.  So sparkly and bright.  Clothes are amazing."

"Going to become a little fashionista, are you?"  Scott dropped his hand and picked up the blanket, tying it around Midge's waist.  "I don't know how much it will twirl, but there you go."

Midge grinned and stepped forward into Scott's arms.

Scott stepped to the side and was immediately stepped onto by an overzealous Midge.  "Follow Midge, follow."

"Where are we going?"

"Just move with me" he said, as another foot landed on his.

It took a few tries for Midge to figure out the rhythm but soon he was swaying in Scott's arms to the skater's music.  "This is nice."

"It is, when you're not stepping on me or banging into my knees.  I'm kidding, you're doing much better.  I'm glad you like it."

"It feels right to me."

"How Midge?"

"I can relax, not worry about what is happening.  Thank you Scott."

He stepped back, holding his hands.  "Now, how about some dinner?  There's a new place not far from here, I've heard it's fantastic."

Midge's eyes lit up.  "Can we dance there?"

"I don't think it's quite that fancy honey, but we can get dessert."

"And coffee?"

"No, absolutely NO coffee for you little one.  You are cut off until tomorrow" he chuckled.