Chapter 17 -- Nookie

Scott woke early the next morning thirsty.  He crept out of bed, trying not to disturb Midge and got himself a glass of water.  When he returned there was just enough light from the hall and the windows to illuminate the bed and he couldn't help but stare. Midge was laying on his side, arms curled and tucked around Marley. Most of his bottom half was under the covers but the tip of his tail stuck out and hung over the edge of the mattress.

He looked so peaceful and he noticed that even in sleep he was grinning.  He took a few steps closer so he could see his cute little dimple and the way his hair fell around his ears.  He yelped and jumped back when a tail wrapped around his thigh.

"Coming back to bed?" Midge asked.

"I thought you were asleep."

"I always wake up when you move, you are loud."

"No I'm not, it's your Neko ears" he joked, settling back down under the covers.

"You are right.  I do not sleep soundly, maybe that is why I need so many cat naps.  Are you okay?"

"Yes, I was just thirsty."

"I would have gotten it for you" Midge offered.

"No, no.  When I'm sick is one thing, although even then I felt bad but you don't need to wait on me, alright?"

"I do not mind."

"I understand that, but I do."

"I do not understand."

"Maybe we should finish this conversation later Midge, it's a little heavy first thing in the morning."

He stroked Marley's head.  "Do you think she is alright?"

Lighter, we were supposed to go lighter.  Scott hesitated, trying to find the right words.  "If your sister is half as strong as you are, I think she's doing fine."

"Me too.  To think otherwise is, it is impossible."

"I'm sure it is.  Want to try to get a little more sleep?"

"Can you tell me what will happen today?" he asked, snuggling closer to Scott.  His knees were tucked against his hip, his head leaned against his shoulder.  In the space between lay Marley, snuggled into his chest.

"Sure.  We're going to have breakfast and then I want to get you a phone.  After that, we'll do whatever you want and get ready for me to leave tomorrow.  Is that okay?"

"Of course ma-- Scott."  He closed his eyes and slowed his breathing, but he couldn't quite force down the question plaguing him.  "I know you told me, I am sorry.  I just.... are you really coming back?  Because I would rather know the truth, if it is my choice.  I do not want to wait and not know."

Scott, knowing him so much better now could visualize those days after Trent died.  How he must have heard every step, every car and listened for him.  How sad he must have been to crawl into an empty bed each night.  "Oh Midge, yes, I'm coming back.  I will be back as soon as I possibly can, okay?  And you'll have a phone so you can call me anytime you need me, alright?  Oh fuck it, come here."  He wiggled his arm out from next to his head and threw it out over the pillow.

"Nookie.  Comfort."

"Nookie?  Is that what this is?"  He wrapped his broad arm around Midge's small shoulders, holding him close.

Midge snuggled onto his chest, his head resting near his heart.  "Yes, this is your nook and now we have nookie."

Scott giggled, the joy bubbling over.  "You make me ridiculously happy, little one."

"May I have more bacon?  I love bacon."

"Everyone loves bacon Midge, it's a universal love.  And yes, we can definitely get you some."

He started tracing small circles on Scott's chest, more out of playfulness than anything else.  "You are very pretty, and you have a very nice nook."

"Thanks.  You're beautiful too."

"And I have a nice tongue."

Scott let out an exasperated sigh.  "Nice is not the right word.  But can we please not talk about it?"

"Would you rather do?  I am very happy to please."

"No, no... Midge we can't."  He sat up then, even though Midge was practically glued to his side.  "Let's get up and get dressed, okay?"

"Whatever you want" he answered, padding out into the living room.