Chapter 102 -- Challenge

Zac was relaxing on the couch with a cup of coffee.  Scott had rambled, between sips of his coffee, for over 20 minutes and although he had HEARD the psuedo plan that came out of his mouth, Zac wasn't quite sure Scott shouldn't at the very least take a nap and if that failed, a valium.  "Let me get this straight, make sure we're on the same page."

"The two of us getting something straight, well,  I'll do my best.  Shoot."

        "You want for us, you and me, to go down to this guys place of employment and talk to him?"

"Yep"

        "Not finished.  This Steven dude is the same guy who tortured Midge, then tried to steal him, and THEN broke into your apartment and trashed it.  Right?"

"Yeah."

        Zac looked straight at Scott.  "And you want US?  Me, who will snap like a twig and you who will run screaming?  To confront a crazy, scary dude?  Alone?  Are you fucking CRAZY???"

"Well when you say it like that.... but what other choice do I have?  He HAS him, he has to!" Scott said, standing and pacing back and forth.  He ran his fingers through his insane hair although whether he was trying to style it or just make it stand up more was anyone's guess.

        "We're going to need back-up.  Like, hundreds of big, scary dudes.  And cash, you should just bring a suitcase full." Zac said, shaking his head in wonder.  "This is insane."

"Think the L.A. Gay Mens chorus would help?"

        "The drag queens might distract him, at the very least.  Seriously, we can't do this."

"I'm just going to talk to him!"

        "Yeah, YOU'RE going to talk but he is going to what, invite you to tea?  He's CRAZY!!  You think he's just going to say 'Yeah, I have him.  Give me $20 and he's yours?  Thanks for stopping by'???"

"But even if he denies it he'll KNOW I know and then I can make a plan.  I can't sit here and do nothing!!"

        "I get that Scott, I get it, but this plan is NOT a plan.  It's going to accomplish nothing except getting one, or both of us, hospitalized."

"That wouldn't help anything, well, it might distract me.  He's been gone a whole day.  I don't want to imagine what he's doing to Midge.  I can't" he answered sadly.  "And I can't do anything.  At all.  I need to DO something."

        "The reward posters were brilliant, you ARE doing something, but I know what you mean.  Come sit down and let's figure something out.  So, posters are up, and you said Kevin and Avi went back to the mall today?"

"Yeah, just in case he hid really well.  They've done two laps already though and haven't found him.  I don't think he's there.  They're going to sit and eat something in the food court and then check one more time.  They'll call again after the final lap and let me know."

        "So that's all good.  Are you SURE you can't call the cops Scott?  I mean, I see the issues but what if they know something?  Anything?  I could go with you."

"Okay, but if it gets hairy I'm leaving.  I don't want them to know he's Neko or anything, it could be dangerous for him."

        "That works.  Bring a picture or two and we'll try.  Worse that can happen is nothing.  We can put up a few more flyers on the way, too.  Have you eaten?"

"Not really.  No.  I had a muffin."

        "Food, then police station.  I'm driving.  Oh, and Lee said he'll help any way he can.  Let's call him after we talk to the police, maybe he can help us figure out the next step."

"You sound like you have some sort of plan Zac. I still want to go see Steven though.  Does Lee have any huge, scary brothers or friends?"

        "Actually, I bet he probably does.  I'll ask him while we're eating, okay?"