Chapter 25 -- Beach

Scott woke with Midge so wrapped up in him and the blankets that he honestly wasn't sure how to get out of bed. "Good morning sleepyhead, you're usually up before me."

Midge lifted his head slowly, then batted his eyes open a few times. "I was awake during the night, I could not sleep."

"You could have woken me up if you needed me."

"Yet you are angry when I say the same thing to you. But I was fine. I had milk and drew a picture."

"It's because of WHY you said it, Midge, that's all. When you say it out of love I won't be upset."

"You have spoken of love a lot lately. I have seen movies, I know what it is supposed to be but... I do not know. Never mind."

Scott wasn't nearly awake enough for a discussion about emotions.  "It can wait till later, I think. I have the entire day off, we don't have rehearsal on Sundays. What would you like to do?"

"Whatever you would like."

"Nope, not happening. YOU have to chose" he said, using his hands to stick Midge's hair out in all different directions.

"You are making me look silly."

"Yep."

"You are silly."  And Scott was silly, but it didn't stop Midge from smiling.

"Yep. So what'll it be?"

"Scott, I understand the gift, and I thank you, but I have no idea what I would like to do. How do I decide? I do not know my options. I would like to do anything."

"I see, I see. Well, we could go to the beach and play arcade games and eat ice cream. We could drive down to the aquarium. We could go to an amusement park. There are museums around, if you would like to see art."

"The beach? How can I go?"

"I know you don't like to swim but what did you do last time you went?"

"I have never been."

"You've..... of course you haven't. Okay, so jeans, t-shirt and a hat. No problem. You can feel the sand in your toes and we can build a sand castle. How does that sound?"

Midge's eyes were staring at the ceiling, his thoughts already at the ocean. "I would love to see it."

*** *** *** *** *** ***

They had just finished a go-cart race which Scott won simply because Midge kept getting the gas and brake pedals mixed up, when Scott's phone rang out Zac's ringtone. He pulled them onto a bench and answered. "Hey"

"I talked to Uncle Sebastian and he's good with a visit. I wasn't going to tell him about Midge but I realized that if I figured him out, Sebastian would too, especially once the brother/sister thing comes out. I hope that's okay."

"Yeah, I don't see how we can get around that one. We have something to handle first, but when are you thinking?"

"I could take off Thursday and Friday and make a weekend of it. You guys could come back whenever, obviously. Does that work?"

"I'll run it by him and let you know tonight, okay?"

Zac had been hoping for an immediate answer, given the trouble he'd gone to, but Scott's schedule had always been difficult.  "Yep, have to take off the time so let me know either way before morning."

"You got it, and thanks. Really."

"No problem Scott. Talk to you later."

"So, did you hear all of that or just my end?" he asked, smirking at Midge.

"I heard a few words of his, but not all."

"We are good to go on Thursday, if that works for you. His uncle is fine with us visiting. I'll get tickets and we can head down."

"Tickets?"

"Yeah, not driving........... shit, you don't have any ID, do you?"

"No"

"It's fine, it's not really that far. It'll work. Does ice cream and a walk along the water sound good to you?"

"Yes. Yes it does."

"No 'whatever you'd like'?? That is progress."

They walked along the water, shoes in a bag thrown over Scott's shoulder and milkshakes in their hands. Every other step, it seemed, Midge stopped to look down at a piece of shell, or a rock, or a piece of weathered glass. Once his shake was finished he rinsed his cup out in the water and started filling it.

"Looking for anything in particular?" Scott asked, watching Midge more than the scenery.

"Pretty things. Something Misty might like. Memories."

He took a deep breath, filling his lungs. There was a peace being with Midge, a sense of purpose and of being whole, and solid. It made no sense but it had to be love, there was no other word he could think of that could possibly describe even half of what he felt. When they reached one of the old piers he took Midge's hand and led him towards the end.

"Is it safe? Where does it go?"

"It goes to a memory, Midge." He stopped at the end and turned so they were facing each other. He stepped close, encouraged by the curiosity in Midge's wide eyes. When he leaned down and claimed his lips, Midge jerked back suddenly but Scott stayed still and soon felt him return, his lips melding into his own just as his body always did. He went slowly, and gently, letting him catch up and meet him halfway.

Midge felt the edges of Scott's lips turn up just a tad and he pulled back in time to see the smile spread across his face. Embarrassed, he glanced down but a finger was soon lifting his chin. "You have the ocean in your eyes and you kissed me."

"Yes, yes I did." He watched Midge lick his lips and then bite his lower one between his teeth. "I'd like to do it again, if you want me to."

"Please."