Chapter 113 -- Marley

It was a bit surreal to walk into the apartment and Midge stopped just inside the door.

"You okay?" Scott asked.

"Yes, it is just, it has been awhile since I was here. I left to go to the studio weeks ago and now I am home again."

Scott wrapped him into a hug and ran his fingertips through his hair. "You've been through a lot this month. I'm so sorry. You're safe now though." He stepped back and brought the bags in while he kept half an eye on his boy.

"I should put my things away" he said, taking his smaller bag in and laying it on his bed. He pulled out his Marley and put her against his pillow before taking out his stash of gift cards. "Scott?"

"Yeah" He peeked his head in Midge's doorway.

"Can we give my Starbucks card to Ashley so she can be dry and have hypermilk and breakfast?"

"Ashley from the park? Yeah, of course. You're such a sweetheart."

"We can go soon please?"

"Yeah, before dinner if you want to. I just need to make some phone calls and touch in with the band, figure out the next shows and then we'll go."

"I will take a cat nap if that is okay. Thank you Scott."

"No problem. Sleep tight."

*** *** ***

Midge placed his hand gently on Scott's arm as he took off his seat belt. "I would like to go alone, if it is okay?"

"I can come with you."

"I know, but I must not be afraid. You will be able to see me if I need help."

"You're right Midge, you're right. I don't want you to be afraid. Go ahead love."

Midge stepped out of the car and quickly hopped the low fence so he could walk directly to Ashley's tree. "Hello Ashley."

"Midge? Hey buddy" she croaked, her voice ragged.

"You are not well?"

"Sick, but the food smells great. Hand it over parade boy."

He sat down next to her and opened the bag, peeling back the wrapper and handing her the sandwich. "Can I do anything for you? I can ask Scott to take me for things if you need it. Or we can take you to a doctor?"

"Just need to eat and rest. I'll live." She gulped down her drink and ate quickly, barely chewing her food.

"I brought you some cards so you can go get a treat and be dry if it rains."

Ashley took the gift cards and grinned, then shoved them into the inside pocket of her jacket. "Thanks. Heard you ran away."

"I was taken, I did not run. But Scott has found me and everything is okay. How did you know?"

"Some girl showed me one of the flyers he posted." She leaned her head back against the tree, her eyes closing. "Looking for you."

"Yes Scott was looking for me. I will come back in the morning and check on you and bring you some things to help you. I am sorry you are sick. Sleep well Miss Ashley." He gathered up the trash and walked away slowly, wishing there was more he could do. When he sat back in the car he continued to stare towards her.

"Everything okay?" Scott asked.

"She is sick. She knew I was lost, said you came looking for me."

"I didn't talk to her, didn't see her when I came by to put the flyers up."

"Perhaps I misunderstood. She is not well. Can we come back tomorrow and check on her?"