Special Chapter | By Her Side

Aeson Warner Alverado's Point of View

I heard the water streaming down in the sink just as I zipped my pants. The noise irritated me so I decided to open the stall quietly and shout at whoever employee decided that it's okay to let the water run without using it.

But instead of a male, I found a lady-no--she's a girl. She looks like a helpless kid staring at her reflection, begging for help.

I saw the desperation, fear, anger and pain in her eyes all at once. It instantly reminded me of my helpless self, eleven years ago, so, instead of shouting at her, I watched her calm herself by washing her face and by stopping her shaking hands.

I want to help her.

Nagulat ako nang tumili siya habang nakatingin sa'kin gamit ang salamin. She turned her face to me and I saw fear and surprise etched on her beautiful but pained face.

"Who... Who are you? What are you doing here? Bakit mo ko tinititigan? This is a women's washroom! Gosh." Pinaypayan niya ang sarili niya at tinitigan ako, nanlalaki ang mata niya kaya hindi ko alam kung matatawa ba ako o maiinis dahil hindi niya ako nakilala.

I'm Aeson Warner Alverado, who doesn't know who I am?

Hindi ko na mapigilan mapangiti ng maloko. "Are you sure this is the women's washroom?" I am absolutely sure she's just playing with me to get my attention, just like what other girls did.

Kunwari hindi kilala pero ang totoo ay pinlano na lahat umpisa pa lang. I won't fall for that kind of scheme again.

I stepped forward. "And are you sure that you don't know me? At all?"

Nagsalubong ang kilay niya; lalapit pa sana ako para mang-asar kaso nakita ko ang higpit ng kapit niya sa lababo na akala mo ay takot na takot sa'kin.

I stayed where I am; she looks so scared and pained that I just wanted to protect her from whoever hurt her and made her feel scared this way.

"One wrong move and I'll-" She stopped, closing her mouth.

I did not say anything and waited for her bravery. I want to know if she can really protect herself and if she had enough guts.

Tumaas ang kilay ko. "You'll what?" Hamon ko sakanya.

"Whatever. I'm leaving. Don't come near me again." She stormed out rapidly; it's as if she's disgusted and scared at the same time.

That girl was on my mind the whole morning. I can't forget her scared, and pained face that I can't focus on my work and upcoming mining projects. Dapat ipapasa ko na ang isang report kay Lucius kaya lang hindi ko natapos dahil hindi ako makapag-concentrate ng maayos.

Pinatawag ako ni Lucius sa bagong office niya; I thought it was because of the reports I failed to check in but it was because of something else.

"I know you hate working with new and inexperienced kids but we don't have any choice, pinirmahan na ni Tito ang contract sa university." I failed to understand what he was saying until he handed me a resume.

It was that girl's resume. The weeping girl in the men's comfort room.

She looked different on her picture, she looks livelier, happier, even.

"I can assign her to Mr. Romero, pwede kayo mag-exchange ng assistant kung ayaw mo talaga." Hindi ko na naintindihan ang sinasabi ni Lucius dahil nagsimula na akong basahin ang profile ni Ms. Pauline Cynthia Zunino.