She looked at me like I was stupid, “She would make Roxie have an abortion. Roxie is totally against it but mom would make her do it. She manipulates everyone but me.”

Curious now, I asked, “Why doesn’t she manipulate you?”

“Are we actually having a decent conversation?” Brynn asked smiling sarcastically.

Yet it didn’t take the pain out of her eyes. Her blatant dismissal of talking about her mother made me realize how much they really didn’t have a great relationship. We sat in silence, I glanced at Brynn a few times and she just stared out the open window. Her blonde hair whipping around her face. She looked beautiful…wait. Whoa! No, I don’t want this anymore than she does. I’m done with love and relationships. Sure, I flirt it means I don’t have to get attached. I glanced back at Brynn and she noticed and smiled at me. This girl was going to be the death of me.

Brynn’s POV:

I noticed Payton staring at me as we drove the rest of the way to his grandparent’s house but I didn’t say anything. I stared out my window; I had not so gracefully deflected talking about my mom. She was a touchy subject, and the fact that poor Roxie was scared shitless of her didn’t make me want to talk about her anymore. I realized I had zoned out when the car slowed down.

“Wow.” Was all I could manage to say. Payton pulled up the winding driveway and smiled at my reaction.

“This is your grandparent’s house?” I asked. I stood there awestruck at the mansion in front of me. It was massive and just behind it, probably a mile away, was a farm. The land behind the house was about the size of a mall. And it was beautiful.

“Yep, now, smile. I think I just heard Jessie.” Payton said wrapping his arm around my waist tightly.

“Who is Jessie?” I asked just as the door opened and a short strawberry blonde charged at Payton. I narrowly escaped death as I pulled away and she leapt into his arms.

“Payton! It’s been so long!” She cried, her southern accent making me smile some.

“Hey Jessie. I know, I won’t be here for long but I promise to visit soon enough.” He said smiling. Then he turned to me. “Jessie, this is my fiancée Brynn. Brynn, my cousin Jessie.”

I stuck out my hand and instead she pulled me into a tight hug. I liked her already.

“My, my. Aren’t you just the cutest thing I’ve ever seen?” She drawled.

“Thank you. You are too. By the way I am in love with your accent.” I said laughing.

She winked, “Doesn’t do a thing for the guys here but in LA it does a lot.”

“Enough of that. I don’t want to get in trouble with the rest of the family so let’s bring this inside.” Payton said grabbing my hand and leading me inside.

It was weird, I loved the feel of his hand in mine. His hard calloused hand in mine, my soft hand in his. It was almost reassuring. Almost, because I knew he was faking. We both were weren’t we? I sighed lightly, this sucked. At least I didn’t have to deal with my parents for the weekend.

“Guess who’s here?!”  Jessie shouted running ahead of us.

“Payton!” I heard a rush of people. Who the hell was his family? The freaking city? They all stopped when they saw me. All smiling and giving me a once over, some of the guys looking a little too long on the way down and back.

“Hey everyone. This is Brynn. My fiancée.” He said smiling. And just like that I was thrown in a rush of people.

Between the all the complements and the congratulations I was beginning to feel the jet lag. I was really exhausted. I found out that I was meeting Mrs. Emerson side of the family. I met cousins, aunts and uncles, friends of the family and his grandparents. And not once did Payton let go of my hand.

I was really nervous when his grandmother walked up to me with no expression on her face. Maybe I should have worn a longer and looser dress. She continued to look at me up and down and I felt Payton squeeze my hand.

“So, how did you meet my lovely grandson, Brynn?” She finally asked.

Whew, an easy one. “We met at my parent’s Christmas party.”

“When did you guys fall ‘in love’?”

“Well, we actually hated each other and because of our parents we were constantly pushed into talking and hanging out. Finally he confessed that he really loved me and he couldn’t stand to not see me. Then I reluctantly agreed.” I said smiling at Payton.

“She’s lying. She secretly loved me the whole time and she tricked me into admitting it first.” He said smirking.

I shrugged, and Payton leaned down and gave me a quick peck on the lips. My stomach did flips and my heart started racing. What the hell? This was so wrong. I can’t fall for Payton. I was in love with Ronan. I shook off the feeling and smiled sweetly back at him.

“So, what do you love about her, Payton?” His grandmother asked, still undeterred.

“I love her dimples and the way the light reflects off her hair. And I like to spend time on the beach with her just hanging out and surfing.” He said, not missing a beat.

“How about you, Brynn?”

“I love his laugh, and his smile. I come to every one of his football games and cheer him on. I haven’t missed a game.” I smiled.

She returned the smile, “I like you. You treat him good.” Then she turned to Payton, “Look, you’re lucky to have this girl. Don’t you dare treat her badly.” With that said she walked back into the living room to sit.

“Why are you guys getting married so young?” His Uncle, I think his name was Tim or something like that.

“Well, seeing as I graduate this year I want Brynn to know I’ll be faithful to her even though I might be far away. Plus, the wedding isn’t until after she graduates. I just couldn’t wait. I love her too much.” Payton lied easily.

If only I didn’t know that Payton was lying that would have been the sweetest most romantic thing anyone has ever said to me. I heard everyone “Aw” and Payton sent me a quick wink. Making my heart do a back flip. I wasn’t supposed to fall for him. I was supposed to make him go away.

“Why can’t more guys be like that?” Sherry, Payton’s younger cousin, asked sighing.

We all laughed. “Okay, let the two love birds go upstairs to their room and freshen up. Payton, you know what time dinner is. We’ll leave you two alone.” Jessie said smiling.

She led us up to the room Payton and I were going to share and left with a very suggestive “see you later” and a wink. I dropped to the bed and closed my eyes while Payton put up the clothes. I was nearly asleep when I felt the bed dent in and I looked up to see Payton over me.

“So, what did I tell you about hanging out with Ronan?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is for RPerna176 because without her, this story wouldn't be as great as it is. Keep reading. :) its gonna be awesome

P.S

The engagement ring is on the side. :)