41 - Raj's Resolution

"If you could save one of us from getting hit by a truck, who would you choose?" Sonia asked, mixing the milk in her coffee. Both of her loved ones looked at her with curiosity - well, Rhea didn't like the question. "Who would you have saved, Rhea or me?"

Rhea scolded her for asking that question, but Sonia wanted to know the answer. She kept her eyes on Raj and watched the internal battle of her words commence. She didn't want to ask it, but the moment when she and Rhea almost got hit, he called out to Rhea. 

"One of them is my love, and one of them is mt friend," he leaned back into his chair, and looked at Sonia as he said 'friend.' "If I had to save two out of the three of us, then I would save you two and get hit myself."

"Raj, what rubbish are you talking about?" Rhea looked between the two of them, "what has come over the both of you?"

"What if the choice was between love and friendship?"

Another ball came at him at full speed, so Raj waited until the perfect to swing and sen the ball flying across the court. He was a little rusty on the game, but cricket has been natural to him since he was young. Unfortunately, the conversation he, Rhea, and Sonia replayed in his head.

Raj chuckled, "what would you have done?"

"Forget about me," Sonia declared. Even though it was just a question, Rhea hated the irony of the moment. "I command you to sacrifice love." Sonia stood up and walked behind Rhea "and save your friendship."

Rhea didn't like how the subject hit too close to home. She removed Sonia's arms from her shoulder, "Sonia, you can be too silly sometimes." She grabbed her bag, said goodbye to Raj, and left with Sonia apologizing behind her. She continued to walk down the road, causing her friend to chase her down. "Sacrifice, friendship, love - what nonsense."

"That's what I did, Sonia." Raj spoke to himself, "For the sake of friendship, I sacrificed love."

He hit three more balls at his own words tumbled around in his head. With the wedding happening tomorrow, Raj knew that there was no backing out of this now. Another ball was hit, and flow to the other side of the court.

"Raj," Rohan spoke from the other side of the net. "I'm marrying Rhea tomorrow."

The sentence alone was enough to distract Raj; he had to dodge a high-speed ball that aimed fo this leg. He tapped the mat with his bat before glancing at Rohan. Another ball hit, and he sent it to the other side of the court once again.

"Scared?" he asked Rohan.

"No, but I think Rhea is," another ball missed. Rohan twisted the engagement ring around his finger - he thought it would make him feel giddy inside whenever he looked at it, but all Rohan felt was confusion. 

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know why. but I think Rhea's upset about something." Rohan thought back to their first time he and Rhea met; the heartbroken look in her eyes burned when Raj appeared or when he was with Sonia. "You're her friend." Raj nodded, "that I am."
"Do you know what's bothering her?"

Raj waved his arm at the worker to shut the machine off. He walked out of the court and returned the cricket equipment to the manager before returning to his conversation. 

"Raj, I don't want her to be just my life partner," Rohan spoke as Raj drank from his bottle, "I want her to be a part of my heart." Once again, the flash of woe appeared in Raj's eyes; though he couldn't see it, Rohan sensed it. "but I think her heart is somewhere else."

Raj didn't say anything, and Rohan knew why.

"Even though she is with me, Rhea doesn't belong to me."