11: Hidden Engagements

Rhea

I was getting ready to go into town when I heard my phone beep repeatedly. I went over and saw a text from Raj, instantly bringing a smile to my face.

Rhea,

Meet me at Jewel's Jewelry as soon as you can.....what a wierd name for a store...

Love Raj.

I closed my phone and put my shoes on before grabbing my bag. As I went downstairs, I could hear my parents talking with Sonia's and Raj's parents.

"Yes, a new proposal this morning!" My father gleamed happily. "But are you sure she will accept?" I heard Mr. Khanna speak. My dad laughed as my mom put another pancake on his plate. "Of course she will. After all, who's daughter is she?" I walked down stairs, pretending I didn't hear a thing.

"Rhea, we have news for you," my mom stopped me. "What happened?" I could feel her excitement cover the room. "There has been a new proposal." She jumped up and down with happiness. "What?" I asked, trying to keep calm.

"His name is Rohan Verma. His family owns 8 restaurants, and he's a graduate. Oh, sweetie, you're gonna love him." She has done it again. She has gone behind my back and spoke to a family that I didn't know and asked about marriage.

"He is a family friend." She adds.

"Oh mom. How many times do I have to tell you? I'm just not ready for marriage. So go ahead and tell.....what's his name.....Ahh Rohan that I'm not interested." I continued my journey down the stairs and gave her a kiss on the cheek before walking outside

"Well, I didn't expect that," I could hear my father say. "After all, who's daughter is she?" Everyone, including me, laughed at the response. I walked to the bus stop, and took the bus all the way into town.

"Have a good day," I said to the driver as I made my way out. I looked at me phone again.

Raj,

I am close by. See you soon

Rhea

I saw the store up ahead and waked in. A blast of cool air hit me as I looked for Raj. "Hello Mrs. Can I help you?" I was greeted by a man in a suit, who smiled kindly.

"No, I'm fine. Thank you," I continued to search for Raj when I bumped into somebody. "Oh, I am so so-Raj." He gave me a hug and quickly led me to a mirror.

"Look," He lifted his hands and I saw a heart necklace. He put on my neck and I was taken by its shiney beauty. "Wow, Raj. It's beautiful." I let my finger caress its silver layer.

"And it would like beautiful on Sonia." He removed the necklace from my neck and stood by my side as I hid my disappointment. "Watch this," he held the necklace in between his fingers and snapped it in two.

"Ouch, you sure know how to break hearts." I joked. He stuck them back together, "No, Rhea. It represents two hearts coming togethers.

I wish ours would.

Raj

"She would love the necklace," Rhea said as I was about to pay. I looked at the cashier, "You know what, make it two." She nodded and got another one just like Sonia's.

"Who's the second one for?" Rhea asked as she made her way back to me. "For you," I have her the box as the lady slid my credit card through the machine.

"Sir," The cashier snapped my attention from Rhea to her. She handed my card as she gave me the other box. Rhea smiled, "Thank you Raj." She gave me a tight hug.

Her warmth surrounded me as I inhaled her scent. A mix of flowers and rain toom over my lungs before she quickly let go. She took out the necklace and walked towards the mirror.

As I watched her struggle, I walked behind her and attached the end of the necklace together. "Thank you," I saw a light in her eye as she stared at the necklace.

"Well, we should get going." I said. "What, why?" She looked surprise. "Because I am still shopping." She looked like she was about to laugh but instead, she nodded and followed me out the door.

Sonia

I walked in my house, late at night.

"Stupid Mrs. Rogers," I muttered. My dance coach had kept us over time because Resa, one of the back up dancers, messed up.

I went in my room, which looked normal except that I also had my own little living room. I threw my jacket on my black couch.

"I thought you said you wanted to wait?" My head snapped at the voice's direction. "Raj, what are you doing here? Papa would kill you!!"

Raj laid out on my couch, as if relaxing. "Papa won't kill me if he doesn't see me," he sat up and stared at me.

"Hey, Mr. America," I snapped my fingers, "You're not as stupid as you look." He took a deep breath as he chuckled. Standing up, he dug his hand in his pocket.

"Hey, Mrs. Universe. You're not as beautiful as you look." I turned around to hide my smile. "You're more beautiful than that," He whispered into my ear. I was about to turn when I saw something metallic hanging from his hand.

"Oh, what's this?" I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. "Look at this," he took a step back, "I will keep one half of this heart and you will keep the other half." His voice sounded smooth.

"Hey, Mr. America, anyone can steal in here in the middle of the night and declare his love." I walked around him, but he put his arm around my waist before I could be a distance away. He slowly turned me to face him.

"You don't believe me," hurt mixed in his eyes as well in his words. "I will believe it when you say it in front of everyone." I looked back at him.

"Okay, Then I will make you wear this necklace in front of everyone." He then let go of me and started to head for the front door.

"Raj wait," he stopped and I could see a smirk began to form on the side of his face, "what if dad sees you?" He laughed, "Hey Mrs. Universe, anyone can come in here in the middle of the night through a window."

Soon I was left awestruck and amazed. "Not bad."