9: 3's a crowd but 2's a pair

Raj

The whole ride was silence, and music. I felt a little awkward as I kept trying to make small talk.

This Sonia is different from the one I spoke to through the emails. "We are here," I said. She didn't say a word as she took off her belt and got out the car.

"Raj Khanna for 3 please." I told the lady in the front. "Ah yes, go on. The table in the middle, straight ahead is yours." I nodded, "Oh, the third person will be joining us later on." I told lady.

"What's her name?" The lady took out a paper and pen. "Rhea Sahani," she wrote it down and nodded. "Enjoy your lunch, sir." I met up with Sonia, who seemed annoyed.

"Let's sit down," I pulled out her chair like a gentleman would. She sat down, and looked around. I glanced over to the mountains, which were in full view. Luckily, this restaurant wasn't expensive.

"This place is romantic, isn't it?" I said out of the blue. She sighed, "Yeah I know." She put her forearms and the table, making our distance short.

"And why is that? What is the special occasion?" I inched myself closer to her, expecting to here the words I love you.

"I'm hungry," she giggled as she place the menu in between our faces. "This place has great food. I am do glad I chose it!" She began to look through the mirror. I sighed in defeat, I seem to do that alot. I looked around until my eyes landed on a man....reading a book.

"Sonia, look." I pointed over at the guy who let his eyes sink into the bookprint. "Raj, why are you staring at young boys?" She eyed me waringly.

I groaned, "Don't you see what he's reading?" I poitned at the book with the words Love Story written in italic. "Yeah so?" She looked at me, confused.

"You told me Love Story was your favorite book." She made a face of disgust, "No I think love stories and books are boring." Her voice sounded tired by just mentioning them.

"Wait, you don't remember Love Story?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Raj, if you hang on to the pass, then how are you going to make new memories?" She said. I thought about it.

"I guess you're right. After all, we still need to get to know each other." I said, leaning back on my chair. I began to hum our tune as she glanced at the menu.

"Hey, Mr . America" I looked at her with a smile, "What will you have?" Quickly I sat up, "You know what I like." I said, rather fast.

"Gobi Parathas," Both Sonia and I glanced at the main voice who knew me.

Rhea

I said, "Gobi Parathas," with a smile. "Hey." Both of my friends looked at me. "You're late," Raj whispered as Sonia's phone began to ring. "I know," I whispered.

"Well, you two have fun. I am leaving." I looked at Sonia, "Why?" "They need me for the Youth Festival and like every year, I preform." She hugged me and kissed me on the cheek, "You saved us." She whispered before saying goodbye to me and Raj. "Youth Festival?" He looked confuse.

I looked at him as he continued, "It seems I have missed so many years." He looked at me with sadness, "You know Rhea, I can't seem to figure out why Sonia seems so different from her emails." I couldn't help but feel guilty. Of course she not the same person because it wasn't her. "Just give her some time, Raj. You guys are meeting for the first time."

"Besides, you should know her by now. Sonia can be a bit forgetful." He nodded in agreement. "Then again, writing to someone and meeting face to face is so different." I looked down. "I'd just die to be with her but I feel like she isn't who I think it is." I felt happy yet sad for Raj. Why did I message you under my best friend's name? I could feel the guilt build up again.

"It's like when I'm not with her, I think of how it would be if we were together. Then, when I am with her, it feels like she's a completely different person." His voice sounded heartbroken.

"Have you heard that song? You are in that state of mind" I quickly changed his attitude. "What song?"

I cleared my throat and began to sing:
If you don't meet me I worry
But when you meet me I feel shy.

I soon heard his voice mix with mine as we both sang:
What's wrong with you?

I laughed as he began tonpretend the glasses of wine were drums. Soon the food came and his face lit up. "PARATHAS!! Did you order these?" He took one but soon dropped it. "Dang, it's hot."

I laughed," You're such a kid. Here's what you do: you take a hot gobi and dunk it in cool yogurt." "And straight into your mouth." I smiled as I begun to feed him but stopped. He then touched my hand so I can feed it to him.

"Wow, food is so much fun when someone feeds you." Raj smiled. I stared at him as he ate.

"So when do Sonia's rehearsals end?" His question dragged me out of my state, "By this evening."

We began to eat and then we went to meet Sonia. "Who's ready to go shopping?" Raj and I looked at each other as the 5 words slipped from Sonia.