17: Coffee & Confessions

Rhea

We sat at a table for two. The cool air mixed with the smell of coffee, making the day get lighter.

"Is everything okay?" I ask Sonia. I could tell something has been bothering her.

"Rhea, I need to tell you something." I began to get nervous. I nodded, signaling her to go on.

"Raj is just as wonderful as you said, but I don't want to break his heart. In fact, I think I may actually like him, but not love him. I don't know what to do." She says.

My breath is taken from me. "You actually like him?"

She shakes her head, "And I want to do something but I fear it's gonna ruin your friendship and you will hate me for it. You'll hate me for life, actually."

I sat there. "What do you want to tell him?"

"I want to tell him about the emails."

"No." Was all I could say.

"But it's not fair that he thinks I sent them. I don't want to start our future together with a lie. It wouldn't be right, Rhea. He would hate me for lying to him, and he would hate you for doing it."

I knew what she way saying was true, but I can't bear the thought of losing both of my friends.

The waitress cam to our table with two caramel Frappuccinos, and set them down. "Would you like anything with that?" She stood on the side with her smile in her face.

"No, thank you." She nods and leaves, leaving Sonia and I in our world.

"Don't do it, Sonia. He loves you more than anything. Besides, it's too late now. We are in deep. If you both love each other, than the letters shouldn't matter."

"He does love me. All this time, I have been a little rude and he has been nothing but nice." She recollected all the memories of her and Raj.

"Anyways, let's go home. I think you should tell Raj how you feel." I tell her. I could see her about to cry for happiness, but doesn't.

"Thank you, Rhea." We stood up, and left our waitress a tip, and left.

They are meant to be, I thought. They will be happy together. I look at Sonia and see she is smiling with joy. If you love someone, set them free. Even if it means the suicide of your love for him.

Sonia

I want to tell him, but I know Rhea is right. It's in the past.

"Hey Raj, can I speak to you?" I ask him as he reads a book. Hmm, that book seems familiar. He puts it down, and looks at me, "Sure, what's up?"

"I want to tell you something that you have been waiting to hear all your life." He nods, and tells me to proceed. I was about to speak when his dad rushes in.

"Raj, the Director of the school board is on the phone for you." Raj stares at him, then looks at me.

"Go on, It can wait." He smiled, then followed his dad.

Raj

"Hello?" I talk into the phone.

"Hello, Raj. It's Stephen Khan, the head director." The man speaks.

"Oh, hello Mr. Khan. How are you?"

"Good. How are you?"

"I'm okay. Is everything alright?" I feel a little nervous since we are on school break. He clears his throat before speaking again,

"Yes, I just wanted to call you and let you know there is a change to your schedule. Due to your high grades for last semester, I wanted to discuss your future with you and introduceyou to a director from a well-known company that may be beneficial to you."

I hesitated to answer. If I go, I am going to miss Christmas with my friends and family. If I stay, I will miss meeting a director.

I explain everything to the girls when they get back from shopping. There were a few bags that were in their hands when I saw them. Rhea was the first to ask what was wrong, so I told them about Mr. Khan's call.

"Go," I looked at Rhea. "You should go this is your big chance to finally seal your college years." Her voice is soft, as if she had been crying.

"What about Sonia?"

"I'll be fine," Sonia walked behind her. Rhea gave her a light nod and walked out of the room. "Raj, Rhea is right. Follow your future." Sonia's voice was soft as well.

Should I go or stay?