25: Songs from the Heart

Rhea

"Only God knows when you in my heart.
Since I've there, you have been with me.
I promise..."

I tried to finish but the truth was I couldn't finish it.

As I was about to practice again, I hearda faint knock on my door.

"Come in," I say.

Someone walks in, and closes the door behind. I don't pay attention to who it is until they speak.

"You write songs?" I look up and see Jay, which surprises me a little. He stares at me with a small smile on his face.

"Yeah, I've been writing a song." I correct him.

Nodding, he takes my paper and reads the lyrics. " It's good." He slides the paper back at me before meeting my eyes.

"The main question, though." He brings the spin chair I have from the computer over to my bed, where I am sitting.

"Is it for Raj?" His question shocks me.

I stay silent, which apparently gives him the answer.

"Why don't you tell him?" He asks me as he takes my notebook again, studying the lyrics.

"Because he's in love with my best friend." Even saying it, I realize I have fallen harder for him. Just the thought of him and Sonia together just hurts more than it should.

"I think you should tell him," Jay empties my mind as he speaks.

"Why?"

"Because you are both in love."

" Yeah, I'm in love with him and he's in love with her."

"Sing your song. While you are think of Raj, and then tell me if you shouldn't tell him." He gives me back my book, and waits for me to sing.

I clear my throat and close my eyes as a thought of Raj and I pop in my head.

"Only God knows when your in my heart. Since I've been there, you have been with me.
I promise to you and the lord,
It's only you for eternity.
Oh, it's only you for eternity."

I open my eyes and see Jay staring at me with wide eyes. "You need to tell him."

Should I?

****

Last nights conversation with Jay replays in my head as I got ready. I'm not ready to tell him  the letters, or my love for him because he's in love with Sonia.

Today, he was gonna show me the best breakfast place then we are going to find a church.

Please let me forget the tune...it's become a habit of me.

I dressed in a white churidaar, plain and silky. I grabbed the scarf before making my way to the door. I looked back at myself in the mirror before opening the door.

Ready?" Raj appeared at my door with blue sweatshirt and jeans.

"Yeah let's go." I put the scarf around me as we walked out the door.

The cool December air surrounded us as it dragged leaves along to ground, making a crunchy sound while we walked.

"It's so nice out here," I say, feeling the breeze against my skin. I can feel Raj look at me, making my eyes open. I see that I was right, he was looking at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing, you just reminded me of Sonia for a second."

My heart aches as Sonia comes to my mind. I have tried to contact her but nothing goes through. All I get is a voicemail, and unread emails.