"Family isn't always by blood, son." Achilles said sternly, look at his youngest son.

"But we're the only family she's got." Enzo said, clenching his fist. He doesn't know why it irritates him but just imagining Luca being in another family is making his blood boil in anger.

But why?

Why was it making him recoil in anger?

The moment his eyes landed on the bundle of joy was a moment where everything around him just stopped. His breath hitched and he just felt satisfied all of a sudden. He felt happy and every darkness surrounding his heart disappeared from his body and he felt light. As light as a feather.

What was this feeling?

It's so... So unfamiliar.

Everyone froze and looked at Enzo like he was crazy. Maybe he was, he doesn't know.

The others actually stopped their own opinions and considered Enzo's words.

Why did that made an impact to me? They thought.

"Let's just discuss this tomorrow." The eldest scratched the back of his neck, sighing. "I'm heading to bed."

_____

It was already midnight when he got out of the office. Honestly, their conversation tire him. It was a rollercoaster of emotions for Enzo and he didn't enjoy it.

Why do Enzo even bother?

He could've endured a week, avoiding the little girl by visiting the city or locking himself in his room by doing who knows what. If he did that then maybe he'll go back to his normal self. What was wrong with him? Why was he participating in a debate that was so obvious? Gabriele is always spot on, his facts are reasonable and it benefits everyone but now, it doesn't feel beneficial for Enzo.

Why?

What's wrong with him? Why was he hesitating to give Luca away? That brat will be better off with a better family.

"Ah, fuck!" Enzo growled in frustration, banging his fist on the wall. Exasperation  seeped his bones, making him feel unwell and uncomfortable. Questions were surrounding his mind to no end. "Why the fuck... "

Before he could realize where his feet has taken him, Enzo heard a small whimper followed by a soft cry. Enzo gulped and was about to call somebody when her cries became more loud and frantic.

"Ah, damn it... " He mumbled, looking at the crib with sudden dread.

The man was having a mental breakdown but his feet decided to walk its way towards Luca's crib. Despite the soft glow of her night light, Enzo could still clearly see Luca. Her soft combed hair was now adorably curly, her cheeks were rosy and her eyes were brimming with tears. She was desperately reaching out for Enzo, her hands were hanging in the air and it was as if she was trying to reach out to Enzo by clenching and unclenching her small fists.

"Why now? Why did you have to wake up?" He sighed, watching her squirm and cry. He was just frozen in place. What should he do? What's the right decision for this? What—

"Waaah!"

Luca cried a little louder, making him flinch and look back at the little girl. Ah, it's now or never. Slowly, he hesitantly carried Luca out of her little crib. She whimpered, tears were still falling as she snuggled closer to Enzo's warmth.

The man looked at her with sudden awe. She was... Well, she was just so tiny. And so light, as light as a feather.

Enzo noted that her diaper wasn't full so maybe she's hungry or maybe she just woke up all on her own without nothing to really worry about? He heard that babies do wake up in the middle of the night due to their sleep cycles.

"Shhh... Did you have a nightmare?" Enzo whispered sofly, gently bouncing her in his arms as he hesitantly take Luca's little hand in his own and gently rubbing her rosy soft palm with his thumb. Luca whined and cried. Her cries weren't as loud as before but she was still fussy.

"Shhh, it's okay. You're okay, little one..." He cooed, rocking her gently while whispering nothing but soft words. He was surprised at himself. He doesn't even know that he could do these stuff. Carrying a baby, much less talk to it and comfort it. Why is he doing this in the first place? He could've called a maid or something.

But somehow, her cries were calling out to him. He couldn't stop himself from getting closer to her. Enzo couldn't stop himself from carrying her into his arms and he couldn't stop himself from comforting her.

Why?

Why are you so different, Luca?

Before he knew it, Luca was cooing and smiling toothily at him. "Ba ba... "

Oh, wow. What was he feeling? What was this warm feeling inside of him? It's so different from what he feels whenever he's killing somebody. This satisfaction, this warmth. It's different. So, so different.

And then Enzo did the unthinkable.

For the first time after their mother died, he smiled. He smiled down at Luca and protectively hugged her little body closer.

Enzo leaned down and kissed her forehead, making her giggle loudly and patting his nose.

There was no way in hell was he letting her go after this.

"Hi. Hi, baby... I'm your brother. Yes, bub. I'm your bwig bwother, Enzo, bambina."

_____

Enzo isn't called a mother hen for a reason! I'm so happy that Enzo's at least trying!

Enzo's the first. How bout the rest?

Ahh, how is it?

Gabriele did point out a good point. Do you think so too or was he an asshole??

Hoped you like it!

And Yaaay!! I'm at chapter 40 now! I hope you guys are still enjoying my story!

Love u! Keep safe!