Chapter 29

29|Secrets

29|Secrets

I opened my eyes, only to discover myself lying on wet ground, surrounded by trees. I rubbed my eyes and stood up, looking for my companion, "Oh! You are awake."

There stood a man holding a pot containing water, he smiled and passed me the pot. I drank the water peacefully and handed it back. After wiping my mouth, I asked.

"So. What are we doing today?"

He wiped the sweat off this forehead and placed a hand on his hip.

"Today, we are going to go through your shooting abilities but there's going to be a little exception."

"And what's that?"

"Your eyes are to be tied with these."

He said lifting a cloth and started shaking it. I raised my eyebrow.

"Why the hell should I practice with my eyes closed?"

"Well, you never know, You might face circumstances when you have to defend yourselves from the dark... In that situation,  your eyes won't be much of a help, the only thing that can assist you are these." He started pointing towards his ears.

"So... Get ready Carmen. We have a lot to do."

He said and went away, I splashed some water on my face and signed. Without wasting any more time, I untied my hair and braided it, quickly. I pulled out my long jacket as it was heating up here.

"You ready!"

"Coming, Mr.Devito."

I shouted and grabbed my bow and my arrows and raced out of the tent near the river.

Mr.Devito stood nearing the river holding two pots. He gave an encouraging nod as I came out.

"First of all, let see if you can shoot this."

He threw the pots in the air. I pulled out the arrow from the case and pulled it straight towards the floating pot, which went straight through it.

He smiled, as I signed but all of a sudden, he threw the pot towards my head, I bent down immediately and glared at him.

"Always be ready, you don't know when your enemies are going to strike. Well. This was pretty defending but I expected more. Nevermind."

I shrugged. Being disappointed, I sat down on the ground. He threw the cloth towards me.

"Since your father, told me to prepare you for what's coming."

I looked up towards him, by the look, on his face, I knew he felt pity for me. I never knew what's the matter with them.

"What's coming?"

I took a stone from my side and started sharpening my arrows. The color drained from his face. He hesitated for some time and looked away.

"Umm. You... Hurry up."

"I asked you something, Mr.Devito. Do you mind answering that first?"

"Carmen. I."

"Do you know, how hard it for me to abide people treating me like I am different from all the other women, who are obviously enjoying themselves at some ball, whereas I am holding this damm arrow in this bloody forest."

He didn't say anything, he shrugged and opened his mouth to say something. I cut him off.

"What are you all hiding from me? What's this pity everyone feels for me? My friend Alana doesn't have to go through all this bloody training, neither do any of the women in Grydice island, why me?"

"You don't understand many things, Carmen."

"Then, enlighten me."

I stood up throwing the stone towards the river. My mind was burning with rage. I glared at him, even though I am pretty sure, I am going to be punished if my father came to know I treated him like this.

"It's because... "

He began to say something but there was a little pause.

"What?"

"It's because... You are Arthur's daughter."

He is lying, there's more to it. If it was that reason, then why didn't Meera Benningfield, the daughter of the previous king, go through all this bloody training.

"Watch out!"

I heard Mr.Devito shout, as I felt something hit my head, I stumbled down to the ground and closed my eyes.

The next time, I opened my eyes, I was staring at my ceiling, trying to recall everything that I saw in my sleep.

°°°

Thanks for reading.
Vote and comment if you enjoyed it.