Chapter 48: The Start of the End

"Hey man, it's me," The gruff voice echoed through the phone.

It was Slash.

"Oh hey, man."

Mel looked up at me and I removed my arm that was around her. We were having a night in watching a movie on the couch with takeaway Chinese, and Ripley was asleep at our feet.

"Yeah, it was done today."

I sighed.

"Look I didn't really want to do it either. But I mean, how long were we going to keep putting up with it. This might even be the kick in his arse he needs to get his shit back in order." Slash murmured.

"I know, but also you know I feel like it might backfire. I mean what if he goes to shit because of this?"

"Well, we can visit him and stuff?"

I scoffed.

"Yeah and tell him how much fun we're having while we're recording? And touring?" I said while lighting a fresh cigarette.

"Honestly, between you and me, and I mean like don't tell anyone man, and like no disrespect or anything, so just between us-"

"Spit it out dude," I laughed.

"I feel like Axl is going to be even more annoying on this album. I mean he's being pretty anal about some shit already."

"That's just Axl," I said truthfully.

"Ha... I guess. How long have you known him for now?"

"Too long." I sighed as I let out a big puff of smoke.

Slash let out a hoarse cackle.

"Fuck, man, you crack me up sometimes." He chuckled.

I let out a small smile.

"Anyway, I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow at the studio? I mean not to replace Steven straight away but you know... we need a drummer for this damn album."

"Yeah, man I know what you mean. See you then."

I hung up the phone, took a long drag of my cigarette, and stared ahead at the TV. I could feel Mel's eyes burning into me.

"Well?"

"Steven's gone."

"He's dead?!" She screeched.

"What? God no. It was finally done today; we fired him."

"Oh." She replied quietly.

"I mean what else could we do? We really have to get this album in order, Geffen's already up our arse about it. Axl's a pain enough when it comes to recording, we don't need another obstacle. I love him but he has to get his life in order... Plus I don't want to be around any more drugs if I can avoid it." I said truthfully.

Mel agreed, but she looked sad. She hadn't really interacted with Steven that much but she didn't have to realise what a good egg he truly was. Steven was genuinely one of the happiest, funniest and carefree guys I had ever met. He was sassy when he needed to be, and a damn good drummer. The only weakness he had was being too peer pressured and tempted when it came to drugs and alcohol. I was scared about the big pothole we would have to fill trying to find a new drummer. I had absolutely no one in mind to replace him. I really didn't want him to go, but drug addiction isn't something you can just fix overnight... prime example right here. We had a lot of demanding months ahead of us and I -the whole band – felt like he wouldn't be able to handle it all.

"How is he with all this? Is he understanding?"

"I have no idea. I can presume he'd be fucking guttered about this though."