Chapter 37: High and Aggressive

About a day or two after my pregnancy test, I forced myself to go to the doctors to take a blood test to finalise everything, and sure enough, I was going to have a baby. Yay? The doctor whom I saw seemed to easily pick up my anxiousness about the whole thing, and she made me talk about the situation; that my boyfriend was a rocker, and he wasn't home, and that I hated children, and that I hadn't told him yet. She tried to reassure me that he would be happy about the pregnancy, even though I highly doubted it, and she tried to convince me no matter what that I should get an abortion.

"A baby can make a relationship much stronger, and you can fall in love with your partner even more so," She said resting a hand on mine.

"Girls who need abortions only need them because that is their only choice. You're not in that kind of position since you have a family, and your boyfriend loves you and can provide for you."

"But we both at times can have incredibly busy jobs. Like Izzy even goes overseas for months sometimes-"

"Still, try to realise that you got yourself in this position. Don't make the foetus suffer."

Excuse me? 'This position'?

"I'd like to let you know we're avid condom users," I said narrowing my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I worded that incorrectly, forgive me. But may I remind you that abortions are not particularly a walk in the park. It's a very uncomfortable procedure for the patient. I just don't want you to go through something like that unless it's completely necessary." She replied with concern.

Then she began to cluck over me, telling me the wonderful benefits of being pregnant; how good it makes you feel, and you get to eat more food, going baby shopping is "a fun time", you get to wear comfortable clothes, and then she explicitly warned me not to smoke, and try to avoid cigarettes as much as possible. I eventually thanked her for her services and advice, she gave me further information by shoving about a thousand pregnancy pamphlets at me, and I paid and left for home.

Ever since that doctors visit, I realised I was beginning to notice some signs of pregnancy; sickness. Later that night I ended up feeling so queasy I had to run to the bathroom and vomit in the toilet, and Izzy wasn't there to hold my hair back. I suppose I should probably tell him next time he calls, if he ever calls again, or even returns. The feeling of abandonment was beginning to fall in heavily and fast. I really needed Izzy; more than ever before. I often wondered what he was doing at particular times, and if he were thinking of me or not.

After I flushed the toilet, I watched the spew spin around before it sucked away, and I heard Ripley's claw's clack against the tiled floor as she stood next to me.

"You can look after me, right Ripley? I'll teach you how to cook and you can feed me for a change." I smiled looking down at Ripley.

She just panted happily in reply.

~ Five days later ~

I was sitting at the kitchen table eating my bowl of afternoon cereal and reading some pamphlets my doctor gave to me when I heard knocking on the front door. Ripley, who was at my feet, suddenly looked up at me and began wagging her tail.

"Who do you reckon that is, eh?" I smiled as I patted her head.

As I got up from my chair and began to walk towards the front door, Ripley bolted past me, nearly knocking me over, while letting out thunderous barks and she jumped all over the front door.

"Jesus calm down, Rip," I spoke praying that she'd understand me.

Obviously she didn't, and she made it very hard to actually open the front door since she was jumping all over it. That's when I may or may not have shoved my foot in front of her front legs, and I managed to push her back from the door. Oh, how she looked up at me with guilty puppy dog eyes.