Chapter 47: Steven

"Fuck man, look at the state he's in. We can't keep him if he's going to be like this." Slash said taking a drag from his cigarette.

We watched a completely destroyed Steven attempt to play the drum track for Civil War. He could barely sit upright on his stool, he kept dropping his sticks, having random bursts of laughter and coughs, and continuously kept fucking up and could barely play for one straight minute.

Mel and I were now back "home" in L.A. as the band really had to get our shit in order and start recording. Me, Duff and Slash had written a solid number of songs, and this was our first day recording for the band's new album. We had been waiting for Steven for about an hour when he eventually stumbled in and just made a complete idiot of himself. It was hard to watch.

"Okay, g-guys? Can we start again? I'll be serious thi-this time." Steven sniffed while he stretched his eyelids open.

It had been a complete nightmare so far trying to get everyone together in the same room. Axl kept drifting in and out, barking orders at us through the phone, whenever he was bothered to answer it, Duff and Slash were always out busy partying... and then there was me: chilling out with my lady and being sober. I just had this deep feeling down inside that things would be taking a dark turn at some point.

"Sup losers!"

The door behind us suddenly swung open, and Axl – speak of the devil – came gliding in looking like Jesus.

"I honestly thought you had fallen off the face of the earth, man," I said smirking at him.

"I'm just busy a lot. So... what the fuck is happening in there?" Axl pointed at Steven who was still in the recording room, still acting like an idiot.

"He's off his fuckin' face, dude," Slash mumbled.

"For fuck's sake," Axl growled, "Hey, get out here!" He continued as he pressed the intercom so Steven could hear him.

Steven made his way out of the recording room and came into ours trying to suppress his giggles.

"Am I in trouble?"

"Come back when you can play properly!" Axl barked.

Poor Steve, I could see even through his high state, he looked a little hurt from Axl's command. Slash got up and offered to help take and walk him out. When the two left the room Axl glared at me.

"I'm fuckin' stressed about this album, Izzy. I've got so much shit I want to add in it, like all those old songs you and I have written ages ago. I want to get this done, but how the fuck are we going to do it when everyone is off their faces?!"

"Hey, at least I'm not fucked up anymore." I shrugged.

"It's a start." Axl sighed.

"You're not going to ditch us for that woman of yours are you?"

"Fuck off, man." I scoffed.

"Well, while everyone was fucking around, I've recorded a lot of my guitar parts and I've written a lot of good shit," I mumbled as I took a seat in front of the mixing board, showing Axl my demo tapes and sheets of music and lyrics.

It ended up being the four of us (Slash came back into the studio after dealing with Steven) jamming out, writing more songs, recording quite a few songs, and honestly just having fun. It was like everyone's brains were switched on and everyone was seriously getting work done. It was... fun! I realised how much I missed having fun with the guys. Even though things were very different compared to the first time we recorded anything; we now had money, proper homes, and spouses that looked after us and loved us for us, no more groupie shit. Everyone's health status might not have been the best, sure mine was the best it had ever been, but the guys sure were drinking and partying a lot more than we used to. It was really none of my business I guess, as long as they were all still okay.

I looked at my wrist watched and realised it was 1:20 am... we all arrived at the studio around 9 am...

"Fuck, it's late!" I laughed.

"Ooh better rush home for ya lady, eh?" Slash smirked.

"You bet! With a butt as sweet as hers, of course, I'm going to leg it to get home." I laughed.

Just thinking of Mel's butt, or any part of her would give me a hard-on. The struggle was real. Before anyone noticed it I said my goodbyes, and we organised for the next meet up. As I made my way out of the studio and towards my car in the parking lot, Slash was running up behind me.

"Hey man, can we talk for two seconds?"

"Yeah sure. Is everything okay?"

"I'm worried about Steven, man."

I let out a big sigh. I chucked my shit into my car and rested my body against my car.

"Well I mean is this just going to be a stage of his? Like if he gets back on schedule with recording and stuff he might snap out of it?"

"Nah man, he's getting worse," Slash mumbled sadly, "while you were away I spent some time with him and he's really hitting the party life hard. I mean sure I still have some solid sessions, but Steve, he's doing it non-stop. I'm fuckin' worried that he might be in too deep. I'm scared Axl might, I don't know-"

I cut Slash off.

"Axl won't do anything to Steve," I reassured "look we'll spend some time with him and try and snap him out of it. I mean if I can cut the shit, anyone can."

"Yeah... maybe, I don't know," Slash mumbled looking down at his feet.

"It'll be fine, man. We'll look after him."

After I finished talking to Slash there was a part of me that knew that it wouldn't be fine. Steven wouldn't be fine. Sure, he was a great guy, great company, but there was always that trait in him that was easily persuaded and was open to bad influences. Little did I know what would happen in the future with the band would break my heart, but I think I tried to block out what could possibly happen. I didn't want to think about getting a new drummer and the stress it would cause. In my mind, there was no one better for GN'R than Steve. 

~

Hey guys, I am still alive lols. Life has been a lil busy lately! Sorry, it's been a while. This is just a smol chapter before some real shit starts happening... Hope y'all enjoyed it! xx