Chapter 33: Family Introductions

CHAPTER 33: FAMILY INTRODUCTIONS

After the game, I went to grab my family in the audience. I had Jake, and Samuel by my side, with Ethan and my aunt following behind me. It was so exciting to have them all with me. It was a surprise to them to see Sam as well, but at least their reactions weren't broadcast on live television. I knew I was not gonna stop hearing about this, and it would make headlines somewhere. I was gonna hear about this night for a while, but somehow it didn't bother me.

I was leading my family towards the hallway of all the locker rooms, and I was going to introduce them to my other family. I had not even mentioned this to Kaner or Toews, but I was hoping they wouldn’t be very busy.

I went to knock on the door of the Blackhawks. It had been 30 minutes since the game ended and that was fairly enough time for them to be ready. Maybe some of them had already left and I was only hoping, praying they were still there. They wouldn’t leave without saying goodbye to me, especially Kaner. I hadn't even gone to see him before the game, having so many things I had to do before.

When nobody answered at the door, I saw a camera from a far. I loved photobombing, one of my special talents. But I only started walking towards the reporter when I saw who was standing in front of the camera. The one and only Patrick Kane.

I grinned, looking back at my family. “You guys stay here. I’ll be right back.”

Once I was close enough to hear the reporter, I leaned against the wall, trying to listen it. The reporter could see me but obviously Kaner could not, because he was looking sideways at the reporter. 

“So, Patrick, what was your Olympic experience like?” The reporter asked him.

I lifted my hand as the camera turned on me when I spoke. “I can answer that one.”

Kaner turned around, shocked to see me. I ignored his stare on me and put my good arm around his shoulder, looking at the reporter. “Now, I think what Kaner was about to say is the Olympics have been an amazing experience. He didn’t get the medal he wanted but he got one, and he knows that they could never beat the Canadians unfortunately. And I think he enjoyed himself very much.” I looked over at Kaner. “Did I get that right?”

Kaner grinned down at me. “I’m not sure I would’ve said all of that.”

“Rosaline, maybe you can answer this for Kaner.” The reporter looked at me with a smile. “What’s been the biggest challenge for Patrick Kane up until the Olympics?”

He looked over at me and grinned, waiting for an answer. “He asked you.”

I know that before the Olympic break Kaner had trouble finding the end of the net, and simply trying to pass the puck to his other teammates. I could distinctly remember John calling me and just complaining about how Kaner was stubborn on the ice. I looked back at the young man waiting for my answer, “Putting pucks in the net was a challenge, communication was also an issue. You have line mates and you want to use them, right? But I think he really outdid himself tonight, made everyone forget what happened before the Olympics and I think that’s good.” I looked at Kaner with a giggling smile. “Good job, Kaner.”

I could tell I caught him a bit off guard, his mouth fell open in surprise and he began to smile over at the reporter, almost like he was going to ask if this was all a joke.

I laughed at his reaction, “Am I good or what?”

Someone else suddenly got next to me, and I laughed as John arrived next to me, putting his arm around my shoulder and brushing Kaner off of me. He coughed and stared over at Kaner, “So what’s going on over here.”

I grinned, and Kaner shook his head at him.

“Were just about done here.” The reporter said, “Thank you Patrick Kane, Rosaline… and Jonathan Toews.”

“Anytime, buddy.” John smiled and waved, and I buried him in a hug laughing.

He grinned over my shoulder, “How are you, Rose? Feels like I haven’t seen you in months.”

"I'm so amazing." I smiled over his shoulder, and released him. "Thank you."

As the cameraman man left, Kaner arrived in front of me with a smile, and John moved over, so that I could face him. “You know, I thought you were gonna meet us at the airport?”

I suddenly felt guilty because he was right. “I’m so sorry, I couldn’t make it. My day was completely booked at the last minute, I had a bunch of interviews and meetings today. I'm so sorry. I tried to call.”

He smiled, and slipped his arms around my back, looking down at me with a smile, still wearing his skates. It was funny how much taller he was from me, compared to when he had no skates on. I smiled up at him, and didn't even care that we were surrounded by people. “I don’t care, just give me a kiss.”

I giggled and planted a quick kiss on his lips, before pulling away and warpping my arm around him. I, then, took a step back and realized that my family were still a few feet away from us. I grabbed Sam’s arm and looked over at my family, gesturing for them to follow me forwards.

I arrived face to face with Jonathan and Patrick, looking back at Samuel. “Guys, there’s a few people I want you to meet.” I kept my hold on Sam’s arm as he moved next to me. “This is my oldest brother, Samuel. I guess you can figure out the rest by yourself. And Sam…” I gestured at John. “This is my other brother, Jonathan Toews.”

They both shook hands, and Sam couldn’t afford a smile but a simply sympathetic look. “Thank you for taking care of my sister.”

John smiled, “Thank you for serving our country.”

Sam half-smiled. “It’s an honour.”

“And this man right here is very special to me… maybe you remember him.” I looked from Kaner to Sam.

Sam frowned, but then a light-bulb suddenly came on. “Oh, wasn’t he the boy you went out with in London?”

“That’s the one.” I smiled.

Sam looked back at Kaner, “Wow, faith really wanted the two of you together, I guess."

I grinned and so did Kaner.

"I remember seeing you play a long time. You haven't changed.” He took a step towards Kaner, and shook his hand. 

Kaner smiled. “Thank you. I remember you too, but it’s been a long time.”

“Sam hasn’t been around for 9 months, Kaner.” I said. “I haven’t seen him in a long time as well.”

“That must suck.” John said to Sam. “Being away that long, I could never do what you guys do.”

“I still don’t know how I do it.” Sam almost flashed a smile.

“Well, thank you.” John said. “For the sacrifices you make every day.”

My brother Sam smiled at John, and looked back at me for a second, “I think I like this guy.”

I grinned and I winked over at Ethan and Jake, letting them step forwards so Sam could stand beside my aunt. I put my arm around Jake, and because of my injured shoulder I couldn’t put my other arm around Ethan, but I still looked up at John and Kaner. “And these two boys are probably the biggest hockey fans ever. Kaner, John, these are my cousins Ethan and Jake.”

They all shook hands and eventually I even introduced my aunt to them. I loved my family and I would never want to lose any more of them, especially not now that I’ve gotten my brother Sam back. 

I was the happiest girl in the world.

VOTE 

COMMENT

Hope you liked it:) There's only one other chapter after this one, and it's a real good one, so stay tuned! Love you:) xoxoxox