Chapter 17: Who's Faster?

CHAPTER 17: Who's Faster?

“Rose, are you okay?” My coach asked me as I went back towards the bench.

I sat down and looked up at him. We were 20 minutes in a practice and I was already dizzy, not being able to go on. I knew how badly it looked and it was such an irresponsible mistake for me to have done, but at least now I was paying for it by being humiliated in front of my team. As I looked up, a few of my teammates threw me a smile as they went by the board. They all knew why, except the coach.

“I’m really sorry, I just feel a bit dizzy.” I said back to my coach.

He looked down at me, a bit curiously yet something else in his gaze. “Your father…”

“Sir, I’d rather not think about that.” I looked up at him, already understanding what he was hinting at. “I’m really fine.”

“You know if you don’t feel good, you step off the ice.” He said, very seriously.

He really didn’t understand but I still nodded. “I know.”

The last thing I wanted on my mind was my father, or how he died. I looked towards the crowd and noticed a few familiar faces in the crowd. Patrick, John, Seabrook and with someone else. My brother Nick. The Chicago Boys.

Nick waved at me, smiling over at me.

I smiled at him, and got back on the ice, leaning against the board weirdly. The coach turned his attention back to me, and looked down at me. “You feel better?”

I didn’t want to start an argument so I simply nodded and stepped onto the ice, getting a good grip and being able to stand on my two feet without falling over. I tried to focus on the practice but it was a bit difficult, although I still managed. Obviously not playing at my very best. The whole practice, I knew the coach had his eyes on me, certain that he hadn’t found my constant sayings of ‘I’m fine’ very reassuring.

When the practice ended and I was all alone on the ice, I went back on the bench, and caught my breath. I stared out at the crowd, where all the guys were once sitting not too long ago and now were gone. I sighed and took off my helmet, letting my head lay against the board tiredly for what felt like a very long time.

I was drifting to sleep as someone whispered my name into my ear.

“Hey, you!” I heard someone shout again.

I turned around to see Eric Staal, standing with all his equipment on and ready to step on the ice. I smiled over at him, rubbing my eyes like I’d just woken up, which I was. I smiled at him, “Hi.”

“You’re a little party girl, aren’t you?” He asked, grabbing a seat next to me on the bench.

“When I’ve got something to celebrate. Yes, I am.” I said to him. “I’m only gonna live once.”

He chuckled, “Very true. How’s the hangover?”

I smiled over at him. I was never gonna stop hearing about last night, I’m sure. “Hell. But I’m living through it. I’ve got another day to recover.”

“At least there’s that.” He smiled.

John suddenly came up the runway with Seabrook and Keith at his side. When he noticed me, he smiled and I looked away. I was going to hear something from him about how ridiculous I looked during the practice. He came towards me with a smile on his face, Keith and Seabrook stepping onto the ice without him. “I don't have to ask how you're doing. That practice pretty much said it all."