Chapter 27: Golden Game

CHAPTER 27: GOLDEN GAME

I was in the front row, somehow, sitting next to Taylor and Rebecca, as well as having a few other of my teammates in the same row. It was quite exciting. I’ve always loved the excitement of watching a game, instead of always being the one on the ice. Although, being off ice was more stressful than being on ice, which was very strange.

Every now and then, I’d get a wink from Kaner and smiles from a few other players as they went by the boards. My teammates had already guessed by then that Patrick Kane and I were dating. It was a bit too obvious. Kaner made sure to let everyone know that we were a thing now, since I’d agreed to be with him.

It was already the last period and I was so sure that Canada was winning this. There was only a few seconds left when my heart stopped and the American team scored a goal, and the player that scored was none other than Zach Parise. The goal was right in front of me on the ice and so Zach spotted me in the crowd, almost like he was laughing in my face.

He kept his eyes on me, his teammates gathering around him, while I smiled at him and shook my head. I had all the faith in the world in my team. This wasn’t over. It simply meant that they didn’t lose. He looked away from me and went back to his team.

Taylor and Rebecca both saw the same thing. Rebecca is the one who looked at me and questioned. “What was that about?”

“The guy’s got his eyes on me.” I said, smiling.

Rebecca frowned, “Was that serious?”

Taylor looked pass me at Rebecca, and smiled, “You obviously don’t know Rose, that was clearly sarcasm.”

I grinned, “Nice, Taylor.”

Taylor leaned back in her seat, and I looked over at Rebecca, wiping that smile off of my face. “But seriously, the guy hates me and I don’t even know why.”

“Probably cuz you’re good.” Rebecca said. “You should get used to it, cuz guys will find you intimidating, Rose.”

“Well, that’s always fun.” I smiled up at the score board. The buzzer rang and both teams were heading back down into their locker rooms. I knew what this meant, a lot of waiting and not doing anything for 18 minutes.

Well, not for me. Up until that goal, I was convinced they were winning and I'm sure the whole team thought that as well. I got up in my seat and knew exactly where I was heading, not sure what I was going to say, but before I could head up the stairs, Taylor caught on my arm. “Where are you going?”

“I’m gonna go make sure they win.”

“What are you thinking, Rose?” She asked me, a bit exhausted.

“It always helps us when someone says a few words before going back on the ice. Inspiration, motivation, right? The coach loves me, he'll let me say a few words, I swear.” I said. She didn’t look very convinced. “I can’t ignore this feeling, Taylor. Something tells me I need to go see them.”

“What are you even going to tell them?” She asked.

“Anything, I’ll tell them a story. That should be good, my life’s pathetic enough, they’ll like anything that comes out of my mouth.” I said.

“Okay, if you think it’ll inspire them… then go. You’ve got 16 minutes.” She said, looking back at the clock.

“I’ll see you later.” I told her, running up the stairs excitedly.