Chapter 21: Crash

CHAPTER 21: Crash

We’d finally scored 2 goals in the first period and gotten the lead over the Americans. They had not scored during two periods and now we were at the very last period of the game and I knew they would be very tired and anxious to get a goal. They would come back stronger and we had to be better.

I took in a deep breath as I went by my team on the bench during the 1 minute we had left till it was live again across the world, and the last period would start. I was a lot more comfortable now, and I went by the boards, easily hitting the glass where Nick was and I winked at him. He smiled as did the others, and I continued my way towards the bench where the coach wanted a last word with us.

Unfortunately, I was too focus to realize that I’d only heard the last part of his speech. “…This is the last time you girls we’ll be playing together, make it count. Let’s go win, girls.”

“Kate!” I caught her attention.

Once the puck fell on my stick, I skated towards the net and felt everyone’s anticipation. I was all alone, heading towards the net and as I was about to throw the puck in, one of the Americans defenseman was coming fast behind me and right before I arrived, her stick caught in my skates, and something pushed me faster to the ground.

I felt so much pain go through my shoulder as it went right through the pole of the net. I couldn’t move from my spot, the pain preventing me from getting back up. I stayed against the board, holding in a pure cry of pain as everything else around me whirled around in confusion.

I groaned as I tried to move my shoulder, it was too hard and just plain painful. I was a bit angry, I didn’t really want it to end like this. I stayed on my knees, my back still hunched over my arm and moments later, I couldn’t help but start to overhear insults behind me. And that’s when I noticed that a fight had started with Meghan and Kate with someone else from the other team. Suddenly everyone was getting involved.

Oh joy, I thought very sarcastically. I still couldn’t believe how unbelievably painful my shoulder was. I took in a deep breath and straightened back up, still leaning on my knees. Rebecca was the first to crouch over me. “You okay there?”

I shook my head, and I got on one knee. Rebecca noticed that I was trying to get up and she grabbed me by my equipment to help me up, since I was still holding on to my shoulder painfully. She patted my back and skated all the way to the bench with me as the trainer was just about to step on the ice, I was already on my feet.

“You think your shoulder’s dislocated?” Rebecca asked me.

I shook my head, “I don’t think so, but it hurts real badly.”

The trainer ushered me to the board and he followed me down the runway and into the changing room. This was the last thing I wanted to happen and there it happened. I almost felt like I was leaving everything on that ice.

JOHN’S P.O.V

I was sitting in the crowd next to Sid and Nick just as it happened. My heart nearly stopped and I looked over at Nick as I noticed that it was Rose that had gotten tripped and pushed into the net roughly. I knew that looked painful. Rose wasn’t someone that got hurt very easily but that had to do it.