Chapter 14: Right Time

I jumped into Kaner’s arms as soon as I arrived back at the hotel.

I had gone back at the arena and done a few more interviews. The coach spoke to us one last time before we’d leave, congratulating us and telling us what we could improve in our game. After all of that was done, I headed back towards the hotel. I was already wearing my dress because it was already 8pm, and I knew this was going to happen, not having enough time to go and get ‘dolled up’, as they say. So I simply got ready at the arena, although Taylor hadn’t done the same thing as me.

“You did it, Rose.” Kaner whispered into my ear, as he spun me around in the air. He dropped me on the ground, “I’m really proud of you.”

I smiled up at him, and almost felt the urge to kiss him. It was almost a force of habit but I thankfully held it back and simply pulled away from him. He smiled over at Taylor politely. “I heard you scared Taylor pretty badly earlier on?”

“Yeah, you missed it. I ran outside in only a sports bra and shorts and I arrived in time to scare the crap out of her. I’m not sure if someone was filming it... I hope.”

“I hope not.” Taylor said. “Anyways, I’m gonna go get ready and I’ll meet you guys there.”

Taylor waved at me and went towards the staircase. Kaner looked over at me, “So what you’re saying is that you ran outside with almost no clothes on?”

I nodded. It did sound a bit stupid.

“And where was I?” He asked. “I can’t believe I missed all of that.”

I hit his shoulder, “Come on, let’s get going. I have a feeling there’s gonna be a lot of people there tonight.”

“Why? Are you that popular?” He grinned.

“No.” I said. “My teammates will still come celebrate our victory.”

He looked down at me, and I looked up at him, so hard to fight all those urges inside of me. I wanted to kiss him so badly and hold him against me but I knew I couldn’t. Not here. He reached for my hand and I took it, letting him guide me out the hotel.

I hadn’t even realized he had cleaned up, and worn a very proper shirt without any jeans. Usually he’d always wear jeans. “So, you like dressing up, I see?”

He smiled, “It took you a few minutes to realize. I have to look as pretty as you.”

I knew we were out in public and that’s where every eyes were on us. I let go of Kaner’s hand and he understood, not even giving it a second thought. I smiled at him for his compliment, “Well, you’re very pretty.”

“Don’t you forget it.” He smiled sideways at me and I laughed.

“So, in honour of Rose, for her 19th birthday, I’d like to say a few words.”

We were sitting in a separated area from the restaurant, already reserved for us. There were so many people that showed up, I should’ve reserved the whole restaurant. It was still an honour to see so many people came for my birthday and not just to celebrate our victory. Some of them was both, which was perfectly fine.

I was sitting at a large table with all of my teammates, and I looked over at John who had just gotten up at another table, with his glass in the air, catching everyone’s attention. I stared at him, and listened as he went on.