Chapter 16: Two Others

CHAPTER 16: Two Others

The morning was so much worse. John woke me up, telling me that he wanted me to be up before he would leave for practice. I was obviously skipping the workout today with the girls, not while I was having the biggest hangover of my life.

“Rose, you really need to get up.” He shook me awake.

I looked up at him, and stood up straight, feeling the most painful sensation in my neck. I felt a head-ache carry on and I looked up at him, “I’m up.”

“Are you okay?” He asked, looking at me clearly. “You still look like shit. I’m not gonna leave, if you’re not okay.”

I looked down then back up at him, “I’m really fine. Just get going before you’re late.”

He smiled and patted my head, “I’ll see you later, Rose. Stay pretty.”

I shouted after him, “I know that was sarcasm, John!”

I heard him grin before closing the door behind him.

I got up from the bed with difficulty and ran to the bathroom, emptying the rest of my stomach into the toilet. Oh, the things I did sometimes were not the best decisions. I went back towards the bed and simply disobeyed John and went back to sleep.

********

A knock came at the door and of course, I was the only one in the apartment and so I got out of bed and went to get the door, glancing at myself in the mirror before to make sure I didn’t look very crazy. Thankfully when I opened the door, it was only my roommate Rebecca.

She looked into my face and her eyes widened. “Oh, wow. You look horrible.”

“Way to make me feel better, Becky.” I muttered, letting her enter in the room.

“So, how was your night anyways?” She asked, grabbing a seat on the bed.

I looked over at her, leaning against the wall. “I think you know. I think everyone knows, actually.”

“I’m talking about the details.” She winked. “You and Patrick Kane?”

“Still friends.” I said.

“I don’t think so, you don’t kiss your friends like that.” She said, unconvinced.

“Were very close friends.” I smiled at her, meant as sarcasm.

“Why don’t you wanna go out with him, you like him and he obviously likes you, so what’s holding you back?” She asked.

I stared at her, trying to find the right words to say. “It’s complicated, really. Kaner and I have such busy schedules. We’d never get to see each other.”

She narrowed her eyes at me, “That’s your excuse?”

“Yes, and I think it’s a good one.” I was surprised at her reaction.

“Well, I’m just surprised. You’re not really the kind to stop yourself at such a minor detail.” She said.

I thought about it for a second, and sighed. “Let’s not talk about it anymore.”

“Sure.” She said, getting back on her feet. “You ready for practice?”

My heart completely stopped, we weren’t supposed to have a practice today. Tomorrow was the day of our practice, I couldn’t go to a practice while I was still on a major hangover. “Tomorrow’s the practice.”