Chapter 22: That Magical Moment

CHAPTER 22: That Magical Moment

I noticed that my team was already on the ice and that most of them were all lined up in their right places, as the carpets represented the podiums. Their backs were to me and I could feel the energy of having won was in the air, everywhere. I wanted to go jump with them in pure joy. As I was getting ready to step on the ice, the trainer whispered into my ear.

“If your shoulder starts to feel worse, you just let me know okay?” He said, and I nodded.

I walked onto the ice and went towards my team. They all shouted in surprise when they saw me. It was only a matter of seconds before they huddled around me, all so excited and happy. They kind of buried me into a large group hug, my shoulder perfectly fine. I shouted excitedly, “Guys, we won! Oh my god!”

We all shouted at the same time, this was all we worked for paid off. I could hardly believe this, my dream, it came true. As I looked back up at my teammates, Meghan and Rebecca, everyone else all went back into their line.

I looked at both Meghan and Rebecca, fist bumping them. “Thanks for having my back, girls.”

They both smiled, and Meghan spoke. “We’re a team, right?”

I nodded and smiled. I continued down the line and stopped to talk with every teammate of mine, high-fiving them and wishing all of them congratulations. Once I reached the end of the line, I looked over at my captain. She congratulated me and spoke of how brilliant I was through the whole tournament and every game. I thanked her as well.

“Hard work paid off, right?” I smiled at her.

She smiled, and patted me on the back. “You’re cute, kid. You’ll definitely go far.”

I laughed and realized they were ready to hand out the medals. They announced our names across the arena and put our medals around our necks, and I still had a while to wait because I was after-all the last one to get it.

But when the time came, I swore that I would never forget this moment. Across the arena, I heard my name being announced and I was sure the crowd cheered louder, it definitely caught me off guard. The man who was handing out my medal laughed at the crowd’s reaction and mine, but I couldn’t help but look around me for a second and appreciate the moment.

Everyone in the crowd was out of their seats, cheering me on. I smiled at how special I felt in the moment. I suddenly spotted someone in the crowd in front of me. Someone very special, my very own brother.

He stood on his two feet besides his teammates, enjoying the moment just as much as me. He smiled at me, and beside him I could only imagine my two parents, Matthew and Sam right beside them as well, just like the good old days. I knew they were proud of what I’d accomplished and how far I’ve gone.  

I knew I only had Nick left now and I was caught off as the man stepped in front of me again, and put the medal around my neck. “Congratulations, Rosaline. Canada is very proud of you.”

I smiled widely, “Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.”

He shook my hand and smiled, “Try not to break your other arm now.”

I laughed, and that was it. I took my medal closely in my hand and then looked over at my teammates, we all waved at the crowd. I looked over at the crowd and smiled as I heard them cheer so loudly out of their seats. This is what made it all worth it. This very moment. I could spot everyone in the crowd, all so happy.