Chapter 2: Shocking Discovery

CHAPTER 2: Shocking Discovery

“Once we arrive in Vancouver, I have to meet up with my team.” Nick said, as we took our seats on the plane.

Nick had managed to get us on the earliest flight to Vancouver and even score first class tickets. These days it was complicated to be on a flight and not get recognized. Nick and I had been getting a bit too much of that lately. It was a very last minute flight so the seats weren't as fancy as any other flight I'd been on, but I couldn't care less. I just wanted to get there in one piece.

I nodded at what Nick had said, and looked out the window, unable to start a conversation with him. I felt major butterflies in my stomach. I was supposed to be in Vancouver yesterday, to meet up with everyone and now tomorrow was already the day. It was all happening so fast.

“You nervous?” He asked me.

I shook my head. “I’m beyond that. I have only one practice tonight and tomorrow we play our first game. It’s insane and it’s happening so fast. How else am I supposed to feel?”

 “You should at least be excited, right?” He looked sideways at me.

“Of course I am. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Not everyone can say they’ve been in the Olympics.”

“Exactly.” He smiled. “I’m sorry I got there late by the way. I couldn’t really leave Chicago before today. I know you were supposed to be there yesterday so I’m really sorry.” He said.

“It’s okay.” I said. “I already called them in Vancouver, told them I would get there late.”

He gave me a small smile back. “I hope you don’t get in trouble because of me.”

“You and me both.” I looked back out the winodw, and muttered.

He looked back in front and sighed. “I still get nervous too sometimes... but right now I feel pretty calm.”

“I don’t get nervous before a game, it’s on my way there. After that, I’m okay. A few years back, I had to fly to Finland for a tournament and I was so nervous, I was sick the whole flight there.”

He laughed, “No way.”

I laughed, “It’s true, I never took a step away from the bathroom.  It was always like that when I had to leave the country. It’s really scary, and I always think something’s gonna go wrong on the ice and that I’m not gonna be good. It isn’t that bad anymore because I've obviously built my confidence, but this is so different. I'm playing for my country, I can't mess up.”

“You don’t have to worry , Rose.” He shook his head, very seriously. “People who know you, who’ve seen you play before, they know you’re the best. Everyone knows your name.”

“And you think that’s a reason not to stress out?” I asked, widening my eyes. I frowned, unconvinced. “Okay.”

“You don’t have anything to worry about.” My brother told me and I smiled, giving in, while looking out of the window.

“Maybe.” I smiled and let my eyes close, considering there was still a 5 hour flight ahead of us. Next stop was everything I’d ever worked for, ever dreamed of, and never thought of it happening. The winter Olympics.

*******

“Hey, Rose!” Nick’s voice woke me up and I noticed he was getting up and gathering his stuff to leave.