Chapter 8: Torn Apart

CHAPTER 8: Torn Apart

Life, something so precious, so valuable. It could be taken away before you even have the chance to say goodbye. Some things I still regret saying to my parents to this day, I wish I could apologize and tell them that I understood everything they did for me, everything they were trying to protect me from. The world was a cruel world.

The next day, Nick and I talked a little. He was getting released from the hospital today, and I told him he couldn’t go play anymore, not like this. He argued of course and I tried to find out his reasons behind his suicide attempt. Maybe there was something I’d miss and there was. He showed me his phone, his twitter account more precisely.

A bunch of insults were lined up one after another on his page:

 -Nicolas Williams is probably the last choice I would’ve thought of to be representing Canada. Well, I’m officially cheering for USA

-Nicolas shouldn’t even be on the team, many players are better than him.

-If Canada loses again this year, I’m blaming Nicolas.

They never stopped and I finally understood. I nearly raged, I knew the feeling all too well. I took his phone and smashed it on the ground, so hard it broke. I gasped when I realized what I’d done, and put my hand over my mouth.

“Rose, my phone!” He exclaimed.

“I’m sorry.” I said, and then looked back into his face. “Why would you listen to what other people are saying about you, Nick? Listen, you have worked so hard to be here. You deserve to be here, if you didn’t you wouldn’t be here at all. People who post stuff like that are just people standing behind a computer with nothing else better to do. Don’t listen to them, it’s useless. Trust me, I understand what it’s like and the best you can do is ignore it, and if it makes you feel better, talk to someone about it, okay? Can you promise me that?”

He nodded, it was hard to tell if it was sincere.

“You know you’re not playing anymore right? I’m not gonna let you and neither is the hospital.”

He took my shoulders, trying to convince me. “Rose, I’m fine. I want to play, and they said I’m fine. So, really you can’t stop me.”

It was like being stabbed in the heart, the thought made me so mad. I was so afraid he would get ticked off and try something else again. The feeling I had on that roof is one I did not ever want again. I would literally be traumatized for the rest of my life. “They didn’t say you were fine, Nick. You aren’t fine, and you need to realize it.”

“Rose, stop.” He said.

“I will be here for you, Nick. I’m not letting you go through this alone.”

“No!” He said. “Stop lying to me, rose. I am fine, okay?”

He tried to walk away but I stopped him, holding on to his arm. “So, what are you gonna tell everyone when you go back? I tried to kill myself, but it was just a little booboo and I’m all better now. I don’t think that’s how it goes.”

He looked away from my face, clearly offended.

“I’m sorry, but you have to think about it.” I said to him. “You can’t really go back after something as scary as this happened, especially when they all know about it.”

“So, when I want to go play it’s dangerous, but when you do it, it’s alright.” He said.

“What are you talking about?”