Chapter 5: Too Much To Take

Thank you for the comment on the last chapter and the votes I've been getting, very appreciated:) This chapter gets a bit twisted and pretty serious drama is about to happen, so read at your own risk! 

CHAPTER 5: Too much to take

A loud knock came at my door early in the morning. I slept very peacefully until Rebecca got up and opened the door. Who would be knocking this early at our door? It wasn't even 8am yet. I simply sat up in my bed and looked towards the door at who could be knocking this early. We had no practice until this afternoon and the game was right after our practice, close to diner.

Rebecca looked from the person at the door to me, “It’s for you.”

I got up and groaned in exhaustion. I went towards the door, happy that I had fallen asleep with a bra on because it was a man at the door. And surprisingly, it wasn’t Nick. It wasn’t anyone I expected.

“John?” I frowned. “What are you doing here?”

Jonathan Toews, of course. He looked back at me, “Sorry, I didn’t want to wake you up, but I was wondering if you’d seen your brother.”

“He ran away, didn’t he?” I sighed, already knowing something had been wrong.

“Yeah, he left in the middle of the night and never came back. I woke up at around 7:00am and he still wasn’t there.” He said. “Do you know where he is?”

I shrugged, “I have an idea, just give me a second and I’ll get ready.”

“Sure.” He waited outside, in the hallway and I closed the door, walking into the bathroom.

“What’s wrong?” Rebecca asked me.

I smiled. “Nothing out of the ordinary.”

I left our apartment after a few seconds and found John right where I’d left him. “So did Nick say something when he left?”

“No, nothing. He left late last night, it was almost midnight.” He told me. “I just thought he was going to see you or someone else. I’m sorry, I really should’ve followed him.”

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault, John.” I said, brushing my hair back and taking a deep breath. I was a bit scared, not knowing where he was. Where could he've gone to, and not come back for almost 7 hours. He would never do something like this unless...

“Are you okay?” He asked me.

I nodded, even when it wasn't true. “Yeah, let’s just find him. Did he talk to you last night?”

“Yeah, a little at first, but he looked really depressed and sad.”

“What did he say?” I asked him, stopping to look at him. Just the fact that he said he looked depressed was already not good.

John hesitated, “He talked about you.”

I widened my eyes, "Me? What did he say about me?"

"He said he was angry at you because you were throwing away a talent that he wished he had." Jonathan said.

"What is he talking about, we both have the same talent?" I said, shocked.

"He feels like you're better than him at everything, and that you'd would be the more skilled sibling in the NHL if it were to happen." John said.