Chapter 10: Old Secret

CHAPTER 10: Old Secret 

I sat in the stands, simply waiting for Nick to have a panic attack and simply leave the ice. Everyone was around him, the pressure was gonna be on him and it was gonna make him go over the top again, I just already knew. It was like watching a movie that was so predictable. The only difference is that I was the one that was the most terrified.

Kane was sitting right next to me, and so was Taylor, both of them keeping their eyes on the practice. After watching a few minutes, I pulled out a book in my bag and simply read for a few minutes, and eventually Kane hit me on the shoulder. “Hey, I think you should see what’s happening.”

I looked back up to see that Nick was getting a bit flustered, pushing another player with his stick. I closed my book and stared at them, it was him and Dany Heatley. I never liked him. “Where’s the coach?”

“I don’t see him… Rose!” Kaner said, as he saw me get to my feet and running towards the benches.

I arrived at the bench, and looked for the coach who was nowhere to be seen. They started throwing hits at each other and both of their helmets and gloves were on the ice. I quickly jumped over the railing before even thinking, and was thankful to land over the runway and right behind the bench, quickly jumping on the ice. That was kind of fun, but I let that thought go and focused on my brother. The only person trying to break them up was John and even then it wasn’t doing a lot.

“Nick, stop!” He didn’t stop. I went towards them, not even caring if everyone looked at me weirdly. I wrapped my arms around my brother and threw him on the ground behind me before he could throw another punch. John was able to grab on to Heatley and I looked at him first, without his helmet on his head. “What the fuck is wrong with you?”

He frowned at me, “Rosaline?”

I stepped towards him, grabbing his collar and I swear I was so angry. Not only had I met this punk back when I was in Ottawa but who goes around throwing punches at their own team mates, even if they are tempted by the other. “I never liked you but now you really have a death wish from me, throwing punches at your own team mate is the lamest thing I’d ever seen from the most pathetic player I’d ever met.”

I threw him backwards and he fell on his butt against the ice. I noticed a lot of the guys staring at me but really I didn’t care anymore. John came towards me, and whispered lowly at me. “I’m really sorry, Rose. I looked away for a second and it escalated faster than I would have thought.”

I nodded. “It’s okay.”

He grinned, still leaning over my ear. “I think you really scared the guys.”

I looked around me and all of them were either staring at me, not even paying attention to Nick or Heatley anymore. “I’m really sorry guys, I didn’t mean to interrupt your practice. Although the coach doesn’t seem to be anywhere in sight.” I added silently.

Sidney Crosby came skating right next to me and I avoided eye contact with him, simply gesturing at Nick to get back towards the changing room. I wasn’t sure I was the one that should speak to him though. Last time I tried, things didn’t end very well.

I gestured at John, saying lowly to him, “Can you try to talk to him?”

“Why can’t you talk to him?” He asked me.

“Last time, it didn’t go so well.” I said. “I don’t know how to talk to him.”

Sid was suddenly right next to us now, seeing that Nick was finally off of the ice and was walking down the runway to the changing room. “Rose, you should fix things with him. He’s been on edge ever since you guys had that fight.”