Chapter 15: John = Sam

CHAPTER 15: John = Sam

“Excuse me, I need another one.” Kaner ordered the bartender once again over the loud music.

I was sitting right next to him at the bar, looking over at the restaurant. There were only Olympic athletes in the room now. It was almost midnight and I wasn’t even tired. I had two days where I didn’t have a game and I was already so drunk, I knew people were being careful but I kind of wasn’t. Eesh.

Kaner handed me a beer.

I frowned at it then looked up at him, “I hate beer.”

“Just drink it.” He shouted over the music with a smile over his face.

I poured the cold liquid into my mouth and it wasn’t as bitter as I’d last tasted it. I decided to keep it in my hands. I looked over at Kaner, who was smiling at me. “It’s okay.”

He leaned over to me, and stole another kiss from my lips, smiling at the end of it. “You want to go dance?”

I widened my eyes, getting up to my feet and smiling down at him. “You want to dance? You never want to dance, unless you’re really drunk.”

“I’m pretty sure I’m drunk.” He smiled up at me, putting his hands around my waist. “How’s about a slow dance, then? Would you be willing to do that?”

I crouched to reach his lips another time, not able to let go this time. Once in, there was no way back. I couldn’t let go of him, it was crazy. He pulled away, getting back up as well. A slow song was suddenly starting and he took my hand. “You still didn’t give me an answer?”

I nodded. “Okay.”

He guided me to the dance floor and I noticed a few of the other athletes with their own girlfriends. A few eyes turned towards me but I ignored them, and kept all my attention on Kaner. I felt so badass, dating a man that was on the American team.

I put my arms around his neck and looked up into his eyes, trying to understand what it was I was so afraid of. “I’ve missed you so much.”

He kissed my forehead slowly, and wrapped his arms around my waist. “I love you, Rose.”

I laid my head on his shoulder and probably fell asleep.

I was so drunk at the end of the night, I was barely conscious of what was happening around me. I tripped over my feet as I went towards the bar, but I couldn’t drink anymore. I simply sat on a stool and felt my head pounding against my skull. All I was aware of was that the room was spinning.

I had no idea where Kaner disappeared to, the only memory of him I had was him kissing me in the spot I was standing in. I looked around me to try and find him but there were too many people, too many blurry faces, there was no way I could identify him.

Someone was coming towards me and it took me a few seconds for me to identify his face, “You look horrible. Are you okay?”

I looked away from John’s face. “Can you please take me back to the hotel?”

He smiled, “I had a feeling you would ask. Come on.”

He took my hand and helped me down the stool. “Careful, now.”

Before I could say another word to him, he picked me up from under my feet and I shrieked in pure surprise. He waved at his friends, and shouted something that made everyone cheer, it almost sounded like: “Birthday Girl is on her way out! We’ll be seeing you guys tomorrow!”