Chapter 4: Difficult

CHAPTER 4

My mother was always so kind to everyone. She was always there to give me advice, always there to listen to me. When she died, I lost my best-friend, I lost the only person I looked up to and admired so much. I didn’t want to believe she was really gone. I still don’t.

Some days, the only thing that keeps me going is the thought that she’s still at home, and that she would call me soon enough. I knew it was a lie, but it was too hard to think that she wasn’t here anymore. It seemed like the only way to move forward.

I couldn’t stop playing hockey, I had gotten so high in my career now. Everyone knew who I was, I basically made history. Who else can say that? I had too much to focus on this year to let it all fall, and unfortunately that also meant letting go of my parents.

I sighed tiredly. Hockey is where I belonged, I was sure of it.

At the arena, the practice was really intense, I felt so dizzy and exhausted afterwards. I’ve been in training for 6 months for exactly this kind of intensity. Although, I felt pretty down, I knew it had screwed up my practice. Maybe I was good, but I felt like I needed more practice. I wasn’t going to get through tomorrow with the practice I had today.

I asked my coach if I could practice a bit longer, and he agreed. I took my helmet off and grabbed a stick, looking back at the empty ice rink. I took a deep breath and went on. Everything felt more peaceful on my own, and easier to focus on. It was just gonna take some getting used to.

After almost an hour, I felt a presence near me and I turned towards the benches. It was nobody I expected for sure. I was kind of hoping to see Nick again. “How long have you been standing there?”

“A minute, maybe a few.” Sidney said, taking a seat up against the board. “You’re really good with technique, I have to admit that.”

I looked down, and almost smiled. “Thank you.”

He kept staring at me, “So, what are you doing practicing on your own?”

I shrugged, skating closer to him. “Extra practice never hurt anyone.”

He nodded, “True, but if you practice too much you’ll be exhausted tomorrow and you do have a game.”

I stared at him, and sighed. “Why are you here?”

He broke our gaze and stepped onto the ice. “I was looking for Taylor, she said she was gonna be watching your practice.”

“Yeah, she did. Practice is over, so she left.” I said.

“Are you okay?" He asked me, concerned. "Nick told me you’ve had thoughts about giving up hockey.”

“No, I don’t!” I nearly screamed. Okay, now I wanted to rage! I turned my back to him and skated to the middle of the ice, putting my hand against my mouth to keep from screaming in anger. I went back towards him and sat down against the ice, too exhausted to even stay on my feet. I was so tired of hearing about this subject.

Sidney’s face turned sad and he took a seat right in front of me. “I’m sorry, are you alright?”

I kept my gaze away from his face. “No, and I don’t understand why he would tell you that, he doesn’t get it. And besides it’s not true.”

“I sure hope not.” He almost smiled, as I looked up at him. “What’s the point of coming this far when all you wanna do is give it all up?”