twenty eight

[december]

"It'll be alright. I'm sure we can find someone else for you. There's plenty of guys and girls at school who would love the chance to date you," Hoseok tried reasoning, shoving another forkful of cake in his mouth.

Jimin sighed, scooting the cake away from him. "Hobi, I don't think he needs to hear that right now. Plus, he and you-know-who haven't broken up-"

Hoseok stood up abruptly.

"You think I'm gonna let my bestie stay with the dickhead who deserted him on his birthday? Hell no! He deserves-"

Jimin butted in, hoping to calm Hoseok down before he went all Hulk. He was clutching his fork rather tightly.

"But we don't know all the facts. Namjoon doesn't seem like the kind of person to just ditch without a really good excuse, maybe-"

"The fact that he even needs an excuse is the problem, Jimin! He's been ignoring us, ignoring Jin, for a week! Why would I let my best friend get hurt-"

"Hobi," a voice called out weakly.

Hoseok and Jimin turned to the heap of blankets sitting atop the bed, just as Jin's head popped out from the mountain of sheets.

His hair was going in every direction, and his makeup was smeared. His eyes were red and puffy, clearly from all the crying.

He was a mess.

He was heartbroken.

"Can we not talk about...it...please?" he said with a sniffle. His voice was small, like if he raised it, he'd burst into tears. "It's still my birthday, and I want to celebrate," he huffed sadly, just as another tear escaped.

Hoseok sighed, eyes softening, as he set his fork down.

He and Jimin made their way over to the bed. The two sat down, Jimin going in to hug the bundle of blankets, laying his head on what was supposedly Jin's shoulder. Hoseok gave the birthday boy a sad smile.

"I'm sorry," he said.

And for some reason, this made Jin start crying all over again.

-

"Thanks, Mom," Namjoon mumbled, as she handed him a coffee.

After the surgery and Taehyung's explosive rage towards the older, Namjoon had tried calling and texting Jin.

Of course, he didn't expect an answer, and he didn't get one either.

But, he didn't have much time to dwell on the whole situation as he still had Young-Jae to think about.

Sure, his actions were still a thought in his mind, but he didn't have much time to leave and talk to the older.

Although Young-Jae tried to stay happy, everyone could clearly tell he was not.

The tube was probably beyond uncomfortable, his lungs were compromised, and he was pumped full of drugs. Not to mention, he hadn't been able to leave the bed in a week, and the hospital food made him sick.

During the day, he loved to entertain any of the nurses and guests he got, but at night, he looked sad and in pain.

The father was often having to rock the poor boy until he cried himself to sleep, exhausted. He would cry and tell Namjoon that the tube was uncomfortable or itchy, or that he wanted to leave the hospital.

And of course, because of his compromised lungs, crying made his breathing worse, which made him more panicky, which made him cry harder, which, well...you get the point.