twenty six

[november > december]

"Thanks," Namjoon mumbled out, as Taehyung handed him a coffee.

The younger sat down on the couch next to the window, before opening his messenger bag to finish some homework.

Namjoon sighed, as he sipped the aromatic, hot drink. He was exhausted beyond belief, having gotten a total of two hours of sleep. All night long, he hovered over Young-Jae, the little boy's every movement having him on high alert. He didn't want to close his eyes, scared he would miss something while he was out.

That's all he'd been doing for the past two days since they entered the hospital.

The early morning that Young-Jae was admitted, Namjoon slept a few hours before he was woken up by his clearly upset and uncomfortable son. The little boy was still sick, and slightly disoriented, so Namjoon tried to do everything he could to take his mind off of it.

Later that day, the nurses had come around with a toy basket, Young-Jae more than happy to pick something. Around noon, the doctor came in and explained to Namjoon that it seemed like the antibiotics weren't doing anything, so they were going to wait another day and then start him on some different antibiotics.

The father was stressed out to his utmost limits, and without any sleep, he wasn't functioning at his best. Everything felt like a fever dream, and the only thought on his mind was his little baby boy.

"-Hyung!"

Namjoon snapped out of his daze.

"W-what?"

Taehyung's eyes soften, a sympathetic smile gracing his lips.

He could clearly see the exhaustion painted across Namjoon's face, even the way he held himself.

If anyone saw the older Kim, they may have thought he was the sick one.

"I said, you've been gone for almost a week now, and the guys are starting to wonder if you're okay. You're not answering your phone or the group chat, you won't talk to anyone...what if they try to come by the house, or ask me what's wrong?"

Namjoon sighed, rubbing his face.

He didn't want to think about this right now. He really didn't need any more stress.

"I don't know. Maybe just say I caught the flu from Young-Jae but I'll be better by next week? The doctor said, the antibiotics take a day to kick in, we shouldn't be here much longer," he mumbled, as he put his head down on the bed, arms crossed under.

Taehyung's phone dinged. Taking a glance, he quickly put the materials back into his bag, before standing up.

"I gotta go, Dad is taking me to school. Mom said she would stop by on her lunch break so, maybe go home and shower? Eat something? And don't worry about the guys, alright? I'll come up with something. Let me know if anything new happens." he briskly walked towards the door before stopping and turning around. "Oh! And please don't forget about your birthday plans with Jin! I went out and picked up your present, and called in for that reservation. If you don't wanna tell them about what's going on, you better not make them suspicious."

Namjoon smiled weakly, before nodding.

And then the younger Kim was gone, leaving the father to his thoughts.

"Daddy?" Young-Jae's voice was weaker, the doctor explaining a side-effect of the bacterial infection in his lungs.

"Yes, baby?"

"Can I watch Paw Patwol please?" Young-Jae hugged his Koya plushie close, his eyes wide, a small pout on his face.

Namjoon leaned forward to rake his hand through the little boy's hair, a small smile pulling at his lips.