thirty one

[december]

It was finally break, and Taehyung and Namjoon were out Christmas shopping. The older brother had asked for help, wanting to get something for Jin.

Even though they were technically on a break, Namjoon honestly didn't see it lasting through Christmas.

In fact, he wasn't going to let it.

He'd decided that he wanted to win the older back any way he could.

Starting with a do-over date.

Planning the perfect Christmas date that would end with a heartfelt apology speech, and hopefully Jin back as his boyfriend.

Taehyung was always good at the cheesy, romantic stuff, even loving it, so he'd gladly tagged along.

But first, they had to go get Young-Jae's present. The one he'd asked Santa for, just the other day.

"What the heck is a-" Taehyung looked at the text his parents had sent, "Paw Patrol Super Mighty Pups Jet Command Center and Launch N Haul Patroller Transforming Track," he sighed, finally reading through the mouthful. "And how the heck did he manage to remember and say all of that?" Namjoon scoffed, walking into the toy store.

"I dunno," he mumbled, looking around. "But I swear toys were not this complicated when we were kids." He and Taehyung walked to the part of the store designated for Paw Patrol. "I remember when I asked Mom and Dad for a G. I. Joe action figure and they got me an A-Team knockoff."

Taehyung snorted, as they began their search for the two specific toys. Namjoon found one, turning the box over in his hands.

Looking at the price, he hissed.

"Goddammit. I need to start looking for a job."

After graduation, Namjoon hoped to be able to move out and provide his own home for himself and Young-Jae.

Before the family had moved, Namjoon had gotten a job at a bookstore a little way out of town. It had surprisingly paid well, probably courtesy of the nice old man who owned it, and Namjoon had been saving the money, only using it for things that Young-Jae needed. That being said, it probably would only cover a month's rent for a dinky apartment downtown.

He needed to find a job that would sustain them.

"We'll think about that later. I'll pay for one, and we use the money Mom and Dad gave you for the other," Taehyung said, grabbing both toys off the shelf.

"Come on, Taehyung. I can't have you paying for my child's presents."

The younger brother shook his head.

"Well technically it's Santa's presents, so..." and with that, he marched up to the register.

-

"Alright, now time for the good stuff," Taehyung grinned, rubbing his hands together, Namjoon trailing behind him with a large shopping bag.

After hitting a few jewelry stores, boutiques, and even the kitchenware store, the two brothers had gone into a cafe to take a break.

"Thanks," Taehyung smiled as the waiter set down his hot chocolate.

Namjoon watched as the two interacted.

Taehyung merely smiled, and the young girl blushed. She was asking for his autograph in seconds, Taehyung happy to oblige.

Namjoon scoffed behind his coffee cup. He was always amazed at how easily his younger brother was able to interact with others, basically putting them in a trance-like state.