two

[august]

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

Namjoon's eyes shot open at the sudden, shrilling alarm interrupting his peaceful sleep.

"Jesus!" he whispered, groping around the bedside table for his phone, his other hand remaining trapped next to his side.

Young-Jae had effectively sprawled out like a starfish on top of Namjoon, completely rendering his body (save the one arm) useless.

Finally finding purchase on the annoying alarm, he quickly turned it off, hoping his son wouldn't wake up.

Namjoon's heart pounded in his chest as he looked down at the still sleeping figure, letting out a small sigh of relief when the toddler showed no signs of waking.

Now the next task at hand.

Getting out of bed.

-

"Namjoon, get your ass downstairs before I drive myself!" Taehyung whispered at his older brother from the bedroom door.

At the mention of Taehyung's driving, Namjoon froze with the comb still in his hair, before straightening up.

"Shut up, I'm coming!" he rushed, quickly grabbing his bag, hearing the younger snicker as he closed the bedroom door.

As Namjoon went to put the toddler in his crib, the boy began to stir, causing the father to panic. He didn't want a repeat of last night.

Quickly, he set the boy down, trying to make the toddler as comfortable as possible.

"Dadda~" the little one called, as he rubbed his half-open eyes.

Namjoon cringed, expecting the worst.

"Yes, baby? I have school today, so-"

"Kith kith," Young-Jae replied, holding his chubby hands out, waiting for Namjoon to lean down.

The elder sighed in relief, lips curling up into a smile at his son's request.

The toddler waited eagerly as the teenager leaned down. Grabbing each side of Namjoon's face, he planted a wet, slobbery kiss on his father's lips.

"Mwah~", he said, causing Namjoon's heart to swell with happiness.

"I love you Jae," Namjoon whispered, as he combed his fingers through the tired little boy's hair.

"Wuv dadda~" the little one yawned, almost immediately falling back asleep.

"Namjoon, I'm driving myse-"

"I'm coming!"

-

The car ride was almost completely silent, save for the GPS giving directions every few minutes.

Taehyung was playing on his phone, listening to music, while Namjoon tried really hard to focus on the road.

Yet his thoughts kept drifting to the ever-growing anxiety settling in the pit of his stomach.

He decided to go over the list in his head for what seemed like the thousandth time.

1) Blend in

If he acted boring, people wouldn't be suspicious.

2) Steer clear of after-school activities, specifically, basketball

Namjoon missed the game, he really did. The feeling of being part of a team, feeling like he belonged, was something he never wanted to give up. But, he couldn't afford the distraction and he certainly couldn't afford to slip up.