twenty seven

👁👄👁
welp...the chapter we've all be waiting for

[⚠️ :mentions of panic attack]
[december]

"Daddy?" Young-Jae whispered.

After his breathing scare, the nurses advised that he try not to talk too much or too forcefully. They didn't want his condition to worsen.

"Yes?" Namjoon mumbled. He had been up since three when Dr. So had pulled him and his parents into his office. It was now late in the morning, and Young-Jae had woken up about an hour ago so he could be sent to get an x-ray.

The blood work had come out positive for empyema.

"Am I going to die?"

Namjoon's eyes shot wide open, his heart practically leaping out of his chest.

"No! No, baby. Why do you think that?" his voice shook slightly, as he gently pushed Young-Jae's hair out of his face. He was confused how the little boy could even think such a thing.

Young-Jae shrugged, holding his Koya plushie like he just asked his father why all the food there was one color. Not like he almost gave the older one a heart attack.

"Because 'm in da hospital 'an sick people die in da hospital."

Namjoon really didn't know what to think. Where had he heard about death? How do you explain what was happening? This was not a conversation parents ever expected to have with their child.

"No, baby, you're not going to die. You'll get better, I promise. You're just a little sick. But, that's why we're at the hospital. To get better. The doctors will help you get better, okay?"

Young-Jae nodded his head, as Namjoon leaned down to kiss his forehead.

"Okay. Sound good tuh me."

"Alright," Namjoon smiled, helping the little boy to drink some water.

There was a knock at the door before it opened, revealing a concerned-looking Taehyung. He came into the room, and greeted Young-Jae, before turning to his brother.

"Hey, Mom texted me and said something big was going on. Are you okay? Is Young-Jae okay?" Namjoon looked over at his son.

He was occupied with his iPad for the moment, so the older Kim took his brother by the elbow and led him over to the corner.

He let out a shaky breath as he rubbed his face. Pacing back and forth, he thought about what Dr. So had told him, what Young-Jae had just said, all of it.

Taehyung could feel the nervous energy radiating off of Namjoon, and quickly grabbed his arm, stopping the older from pacing.

"Hey, hey! What's wrong? Namjoon?" he asked, his eyebrows coming together in concern.

"I-i," Namjoon threw his arms up, before sighing again. His leg shook as he tried to control himself. "It's just. They're saying Young-Jae has something else now. Empyema. And there's a chance that he could need surgery. I-i don't know. It's just-" he looked back at his son, content with his iPad, clutching onto Koya as if nothing was wrong.

He looked back at his brother, who was still holding onto his shoulders. He sighed again, putting his hands on his hips, and then above his head, and back down.

He was clearly getting anxious.

"You know what he just asked me, Tae? He just asked me if he's going to die." Namjoon let out a harsh laugh, shaking his head. Taehyung's eyes widened, as he tried to get a better grip on Namjoon, who kept fidgeting.