chapter 30: fehmer's promotion party

A/N This took me 5hrs to write, so I hope you enjoy this long chapter!

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

A/N This took me 5hrs to write, so I hope you enjoy this long chapter!

'I love your dress. Red looks good on you,' Anneke complimented. 'It reminds me of the tulips in the spring.'

'Thank you,' I replied and returned a compliment about the deep blue gown she wore.

Looking up around the room, my eyes became locked with a set of eyes which I had grown familiar with. From across the room his eyes rested on me, slowly blinking. It was as though there was a secret competition between us – the first to avert their eyes would lose. His gaze did not falter, as he sipped from the glass perched between his fingers. After what seems like minutes, I can no longer handle the intensity of his stare and I look down.

'What is going on between the two of you?'

'Nothing,' I brush off her question, but she persists.

'Nothing?' She laughs lightly in disbelief. 'It seems as though Lieutenant Winter has no end to his fascination about you.'

'Well I guess he is nice enough. A friend? I am not sure if I can even call him that. We only know each other so slightly. An acquaintance perhaps.'

'I do not think acquaintances go out for dinner.'

'And who told you that?'

'The girls on the fifth floor love to gossip,' Anneke said referring to other secretaries. 'But you are implying that there is not any truth to that, am I correct?'

'I did not say that.'

'Well, which is it then? There can only be one truth.'

'He's still a German at the end of the day,' I lowered my voice. 'They may treat us well here, but that does not make me forget the fact that they invaded our country. One nice small gesture does not erase all the wrong that they do towards our people.'

My words make Anneke look down. She sways her one foot across the floor back and forth to mask her discomfort.

'Good evening ladies,' Herr Brandt greeted as he waltzed over to join us. 'Both of you look stunning tonight,' he said, but his eyes only focused on Anneke. 'I hope you do not mind if I steal you away for a bit?' he asked as his hand snaked around her waist.

Anneke did not seem too bothered. She was quite used to his advances. She had become so good at pretending, I often questioned whether her response was genuine or play.

'Of course not,' I smiled falsely, it was not as though my answer had any bearing on his actions. I let Herr Brandt drag her away until they disappeared amongst the crowd.

I stood alone awkwardly for a few moments. I downed the last of my drink and placed the glass on the waiter's tray.

Once again, my eyes found his. It was as though his irises were stationary. He was watching me intently, his lips forming a pensive grin.