chapter 57: epilogue - new york

Some years later in New York

James carried Joseph in his arms as we entered the hall. Joseph was now five years old, nearly six, and was in my opinion, too big carry around. As soon as his eyes landed on Luuk, he began to wriggle, indicating he wanted to be let down.

'Uncle Luuk!' Joseph shouted and he ran as fast as his little legs would carry him.

Luuk scooped Joseph up in his arms and tossed him in the air, 'Little Liebgott! Hey buddy, how's it going?'

'I'll be right here,' James excuses himself to catch up with some old friends from his unit that he spots across the room.

'Luuk is so good with Jospeh, he absolutely adores him,' I commented.

'I could say the same thing about my husband, sometimes I think he is more excited to see your son than he is to see me,' Magda joked.

'Uncle Luuk, was my daddy a hero in the war?' Joseph asks.

I feel my heart ache. I hold my breath without realising, as Luuk pauses considering his response.

'Of course, he was, he saved my life.'

Joseph beamed. 'Tell me how he did,' he begs enthusiastically.

Luuk launches into a story of the 'bad man' chasing him and how Elek hoisted him over the wall, omitting all details not suitable for children.

'He's at the age where he's starting to ask a lot of questions about his father,' I tell Magda. 'It's becoming difficult to push the topic aside. He wants details.'

'You knew it was only a matter of time Mieke.'

'I know...I searched for Elek's family after the war, any no matter how far down the line. I can't help but feel guilty that he's growing up without knowing one side of his family. Perhaps if I had looked harder—'

'Mieke, it's not your fault, please do not get upset,' Magda calmed me. 'When Joseph is older, he will understand.'

'Mommy! Aunty Magda!' Joseph shrieked. 'Look I'm flying!'

I watched as Luuk whisked Joseph around in the air as though he was flying with his toy airplane.

'Well, hello, hello,' a voice called out.

'Frederick,' I grinned and kissed him on both cheeks. 'It is so good to see you again.'

'Likewise, Mieke, how are you doing these days?'

'Much better and yourself?'

'Grand,' he smiled warmly and turned to the little girl with two plaits who held his hand tightly.

'Chaya, say hello to Aunty Mieke, you remember her?' he encouraged the shy little girl.

'Hello,' she said softly, barley audible.