chapter 37: a visit below

The cellars are dark and reek of dampness, mould and something indescribable. There is something unsettling about the smell which makes my stomach churn.

The walls are grey and the ceiling drips in the odd places. Single cells line both sides of the long hallway, enclosed by metal doors which screech against the ground. Every cell has a number above the door. I try to map out the area in my mind with every turn that we take.

Every corner is sharp and straight. Every window guarded with evenly spaced black bars. The cells are akin to a concrete box. I am shown the insides of a thin door, the room smaller than wardrobe. It's a standing cell - designed to prevent a prisoner from doing anything but stand. I imagine the person who sat in their office and came up this soulless idea of additional punishment.

Wilhelm suddenly halts in front of cell door, lifts the thin metal flap and peers inside. He then stepped aside and gestured for me to have a look as well. I hesitantly stepped forward and peaked through the thin slot. It was dim inside, but I was able to make out a figure of a man slouched over in the corner of the room. He looked up, gazed in the direction of the metal flip which had been lifted - his face covered in dirt and bruises, his tattered clothes hanging loosely against his body.

God, I swallowed, stepping away, thinking about what other horrors were hidden in this place.

Wilhelm shut the flap and continued walking, 'I cannot show you the interrogation room - that is usually where I spend most of my time - but I can assure you it is no less different than the cells we have seen.'

'Is that your specialty?'

'Well, they need someone who speaks English with all the British pilots and spies we manage to capture.'

'I had no idea you spoke English,' I said quite surprised and impressed at the same time. 'How is it - the interrogation I mean. It must be difficult to get any information out of the Brits at all, I can imagine.'

'Quite the opposite actually. You ask how they are, get to know them, make them feel comfortable and they're talking in minutes.'

'I don't quite believe that.'

'Just last week, we captured this English pilot who had been dropping off supplies to the resistance. The very next day, I showed him a file containing the names of his unit members, the location of his home base in England, even the name of his commander's dog! I tell told him we have spies at every base in Britain who provide us with this information. Notably the Brit looked shocked and sickened. But in reality, it's all a mind game - a technique of accumulating trivial details to give them the impression that we know everything,' Wilhelm boasted.

'That's impressive...and frankly quite genius,' I grinned to myself at his choice to reveal this information to me.

'Come,' he gestured for us to leave. 'I am sure I have overwhelmed you too much for the day already.'

Wilhelm begins to lead me towards the exit, when he abruptly stops as though he has forgotten something, 'Wait.' He changes a direction and brings towards cell made of metal bars which houses a single woman and a bucket sitting on the door. My heart drops when I realise who the woman is.

'You asked me what happened her,' Wilhelm begins to explain. 'She'll be here temporarily until Herr Fehmer decides what will become of her.'

'Has she been found guilty?'

'Not yet,' Wilhelm confirmed. 'But she will.'

The sound of heavy footsteps rounds the corner and an all too familiar voice rings through the room, 'Ah Lieutenant Winter, I thought I heard your voice down here.'

Karl von Eberstein wide smile turns to confusion and irritation as his eyes settles on me. 'What is this Winter?'

'I was just showing Miss de Jong-.'

'This is no place for a lady Winter. If you needed some tips on how to make an impression, I would have been more than happy to help you,' von Eberstein joked. 'Since you are here already, I actually need to discuss something with you.'

'Of course, Sir. Let me just show Miss de Jong on her way out.'

'That can wait,' von Eberstein waved his hand in a rush then excused the both of them into the room just two doors away in the corridor.

I smiled reassuringly at Wilhelm that I would be fine being left alone for a minute and watched as two men disappeared into one of the rooms and shut the door.

I then turned my attention back towards the cell.

'Rachel,' I breathed softly. She slowly tilted her head up, making me gasp as I saw her bruised and battered face, 'What have they done to you?'

She does not answer.

'Who did this to you?' I try to swallow the lump in my throat.

I dine and work alongside the very people who may have inflicted such harm on her...and for something which I had done.

Is Wilhelm capable of doing such things?

'Was it-'

She shakes her head, 'It doesn't matter.' She wraps her arms from her body, stands up slowly and walks towards me. 'I know it was you,' she whispers.

I feel my body begin to tremble.

If Rachel had told them, surely I would have been down here with her too?

'I didn't say anything,' she says as if reading my thoughts.

'Why?'

'Why would they believe a Jew?' She paused then smiled weakly. 'Don't worry about what happens to me,' she takes a deep breath. 'I'm glad you did it. It was only a matter of time before they got rid of me anyway.' She tried to say confidently, but I could see the fear in her us.

'What will become of you?'

'They have not informed me yet,' she lowers her gaze to the floor.

'I'll get you out of here,' I grabbed her hand suddenly through the metal bars and squeezed it, making her eyes connect with mine. 'I don't know how, but I will.' I promised.

A/N Sorry for not updating in so long! I started my first full time job and it has been hectic balancing work with my Masters. Thank you all if you have read this far, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'd love to hear your thoughts.