chapter 55: prisoner of war

The paint over the soft wood is deep. The flakes peel at random depths showing different sun-baked hues underneath. The door is just the same. It moves on its hinges still, but it creaks, the moan echoing against the bare walls. The windows no longer beckon light inside, no longer lift the gloom that the walls impose. Instead, they add to the growing sense of damp and dark and permit the chill wind to penetrate. Hay lies scattered over the ground. It soon becomes apparent the Allies are using an abandoned barn as a makeshift prison.

He sits on top the pile of straw, leaning against the wall, head hanging low. I clean my throat and cough awkwardly, making him look up for the first. I watch as his face change as he begins to process several emotions – shock, surprise, relief. For a moment, it is as if he has forgotten how to speak. His lips part, but no words come out. He stumbles to his feet, the robe around his ankle pulling him to the wall.

'Mieke de Jong,' he breathes, unsure if it is really me. 'You made it.'

'Lieutenant Winter.'

'Five minutes. German only,' Private Baer says firmly.

I nod, understanding, I am not to be left alone.

'How are you?' it seemed an odd thing to ask, given the circumstances.

'Good. There is nothing I can complain about... the Canadians are treating me well.'

'I assume you've done what you set out to do?'

'I've told Captain James Scott all that I can and showed them the documents I brought along with me. It was all too much to tell at once and for him to take in. I requested a pen and paper or perhaps a book, so that I may write everything down.'

'What will become of you now?'

'I am to remain in captivity... for how long? I do not know. But I am after all a suspect and a witness...Forgive me, I still cannot believe that you are alive and standing before me,' he attempts to take another step forward, but is pulled back to the wall.

'Indeed, but I did not think it was meant be...'

'I know it was not as we discussed, but I have done everything else you said—'

I held up my hand, signaling for him to stop, 'I do not know why I deserved to survive when others did not, but I see this as another opportunity to rebuild my life and for that I will say thank you.'

'You should not have to thank me,' he said looking down.

Private Baer tapped his wristwatch and held up his index finger, indicating we only had a minute left.

'Will I see you again?' Lieutenant Winter asked, sounding hopeful.

My eyes flickered to Private Baer and then to Lieutenant Winter.

'Perhaps our paths will cross again, but for now I think this is another opportunity for us to say good-bye.'

A/N - I cannot believe we have finally reached the last proper chapter! I will be posting another 2 chapters (epilogues) - both may be posted later today, so stay tuned, I am excited for you guys to read chapter 57, if you have any predictions please comment below, I'd love to hear your theories. Thank you for all the support xxx