Chapter VIII - Act I

Just like every passing day, navy blue crept its way across the sky to greet the night; unlike every passing day, the night turned into something unworthy of being looked forward to.
The air was getting colder, but at least the dread clouding the sapphire male's mind finally faded away as he accepted the memory taken away from him.

"I..." the blue hero started as he finally managed to stand up. "I have so many questions I don't even know where to begin... but I know you hold the answers. Tell me."

"I'm sorry, but I really can't," the psychokinetic hedgehog sounded apologetic yet firm. "Explaining everything that is going on is not part of the contract."

"Is taking my memory away then forcing it back in my head part of your so-called deal as well?" emerald orbs gleamed in the darkening clearing as Sonic narrowed his eyes at his friend.

Silver was slightly taken back from the seriousness of the cocky hero, "What? No, but look, I was only trying to do-"

"So, why take it away in the first place?" the question was asked more with annoyance rather than plain confusion.

"As I was saying," the ivory hedgehog thought so hard in picking the most appropriate words to justify his actions. "I was only trying to fulfill what needs to be done. He needs to be driven away under any circumstance."

"At the expense of my emotions aside," a faint glow could be seen from his inhibitor ring. "You are really willing to make someone feel... miserable?"

"What do you mean? He is Shadow! You know he can take it!" Silver gestured both of his arms up, treating the blue blur's words as exaggeration. "If anything, that machine must've gotten over it by now-"

"Really, Silver? All of this coming from you? I can't believe this," Sonic shot him a somber glare. "Can you hear yourself?"

"You might've gotten so use to my positive side, Sonic, but please do know that I'm also a realist as much as I am an optimist," he heaved a sigh whilst crossing his arms. "What I saw with my own eyes was real. Shadow will always be Shadow no matter how much he tries to change. In the end, he is still what everyone refers to as the ultimate life form. Created. Engineered. Dangerous."

"You know, I gotta be honest with you, Silv," the sapphire male rubbed his muzzle as if gauging what and what not to take into consideration. "From how you lay these things out, a part of me doesn't want to believe that this is all bound to a paper signed with sacred ink or something. Why can't you just tell me straight?"

"I just can't. I shouldn't," the telekinetic hedgehog pressed his stand.

"In that case, honestly, you should've just kept the whole idea to yourself and just act as if you were holding some grudge against Shadow," Sonic raised a brow, tilting his head a bit, quizzical. "Well, that's still close to reality, but... you know? Less tendency to make all of this sketchy."

"Sonic, I wouldn't to lie to anyone," Silver took a step closer, worried where the conversation was going. "Especially to you!"

"Lying, in a sense, is still different from hiding, Silv," the blue hero clarified. "Letting the cat out of the box for people to see then denying or taking advantage of the leaked truth, that's lying; you keep things to yourself and try to work on it secretly for the better or worse, that's hiding."

"Sonic, I'm sure that I know you more than anyone else does. I just know that we're deeply connected, that's why I thought you would be on my side no matter what!" the white male took the chance to walk in front of him. "We've been through so much! You know we've been through hot and cold!"

Emerald eyes stared at golden, there was a brief pause before Sonic opened his mouth, "That is true. But Shadow and I have been through so much more."