Chapter 48

The song for this chapter is "Count On Me" by Bruno Marz a video is attached.

This chapter is dedicated to princessalexrules!

Enjoy!

****

* Nathaniel Ryder *

It was as if the world was in slow motion as Austin moved in toward Jamie and even slower when she didn't move back or stop him. Time was literally teasing me as I watched him pucker up his lips. Then a second later they touch. Unable to watch I bowed my head ashamed of what I let happen. My wolf was wallowing away knowing once again my erratic behavior had cost him a chance at love and a happy ending.

That is until my ears rung with the sound of a loud smack. My neck snapped upward as Austin clutched his cheek in shock, nearly bug eyed at this point watching Jamie waiting for an explanation. "Are you fucking kidding me?!" She spat venomously letting me know she didn't back away due to shock not attraction. "You were suppose to be my best friend" she croaked managing to sound angry just as much as desperate.

"I am. I did what needed to be done for you" Austin fought back reaching out to grab her upper arm. Though my strong Luna had other plans, instead of letting him worm his way back into her heart she pushed his hand down roughly. "Jamie" he chuckled clearly not understanding her frustration.

"No" she hissed stubbornly, his blue eyes swirling with streaks of black. "What did you really think Austin? That Nate would cheat and I would automatically run away without question?" Does that mean she isn't running away from me? "Or that you could use Carter as an innocent by stander and then-"

"He's not innocent!" Austin sneered spinning back to my previous Beta and shaking his hand at him. "He's just as guilty as I am. Carter wanted you to himself, he knew what this was" he gestured to his own chest. At that moment Brody let out a steady sigh as he rested his head in his hand. Oh just wait buddy, you're next.

Jamie look dumbfounded by this as she peered up to Carter appearing completely vulnerable. A guilty expression washed over his features confusing me more by the second. Had they made an understanding? She trusted him enough to appear disappointed by the news Austin had told her? "I...I..." He stammered not knowing how to defend he countless amount of lies that he told.

"No" she placed up her hand silencing him from speaking as she turned back to her so called best friend. "Fuck you, Austin" she spat coldly causing his shoulders to fold in order as her words set in and took a toll on him. Opening his mouth she murmured "stop" and surpringly he did, obeying her command before turning to me.

"You don't deserve her" he declared heartlessly. Usually where I would have a smart mouthed comment came nothing but silence. I knew Austin was right. I have never deserved her yet she loved me flawlessly. But now, I didn't even deserve her blinded love. Realizing I wasn't going to rebuttal he spun and walked out getting a cocky look from Brody as he left. I bet he thought his plan was working out perfectly. Conniving behind my back and playing puppet master with my mates. Scratch that, Heather didn't even deserve to be called my chosen mate.

I wanted to tell Brody off, I wanted to ban him from ever stepping foot in this pack. Yet, I couldn't. A part of me, my good side, knew that would only hurt Brett which in turn would hurt Chloe. However as I turned to my sister and saw her eyeing Brett carefully I knew that was a choice I wouldn't have to make. "How could you do that?" Brett questioned, his voice coming out weak and fragile as he studied his father.

"You don't think your brother deserves to be happy?" He asked rhetorically causing us all to look at a glossy eyed Carter who didn't even seem to be aware of his dad's part in the scheme. "No, that's right, with Carter gone you got what you always wanted, the Beta position. You're already mated to a Ryder and now you are second chair right next to the Alpha. Good for you" Brody antagonized Brett in an attempt to make him feel guilty for things that he had no control over. He couldn't chose his mate nor that his was born into being my third in command. With Carter's absence he moved up, that's just how it worked.