Chapter 17

The song for this chapter is "We Belong a Together" by Mariah Carey.

This chapter is dedicated to xdarkdaysx!

I was super nervous about this chapter and over-analyzing everyday detail which is never a good thing, let's hope it pays off! Enjoy!

****

* Nathaniel Ryder *

"Ready Alpha?" Brett questioned as he leaned down to the window of my car. His intense gaze shifted to Heather in my passenger seat briefly before turning back to me. A smile laid on his face which was suppose to encourage me though the sweat forming on his forehead let me know he was just as nervous how this whole ordeal would turn out as I was.

I nodded as he stepped back allowing me to open my door but before I could step out, Heather grabbed my arm keeping me seated and causing me to turn to look at her. "Don't be nervous baby, after today you and I can finally start our life together" she cooed which honestly made a nauseous feeling overtake my body as I cringed hearing her call me 'baby'.

I forced out a grin though I dreaded even the thought of making a life with her. I could never look at her in a loving way no matter how much I tried. I attempted to climb out again but she pulled me back this time bringing her bright red lipstick covered mouth to mine. My skin was practically crawling as she made contact with me. It was revolting.

My wolf growled inside of me hating the artificial taste of her. The one-sided kiss felt wrong, in fact, it completely and utterly disgusted me. It wasn't that Heather was visually repulsive that turned me off it was our past that I couldn't get over. Brett flashed me an approving smile as I stepped from my car and rubbed my lips roughly with the back of my hand to remove any trace of her. I charged off toward the front door of Jamie's house as Heather jogged up to me and wrapped her petite arms around my forearm. She was like an annoying dog chomping on your ankle that you just wanted to shake off. Trust me if she wasn't my last option I would.

I knocked on the door for it to be opened immediately by the current Alpha. "Alpha" I greeted with respect as he stepped to the side allowing the three of us to enter.

"Alpha Nate, Brett, and..." He trailed looking at Heather as if not sure who she was.

"I'm Heather, Nate's mate" she introduced herself as they shook hands. His eyes doubled in size as he realized the awkwardness of this situation. I'm sure by now everyone knew the truth about Carter or maybe Jamie covered for him who knows?

'She is not my mate' my wolf growled assertively as I tried to hold his rage down caused by Heather's careless being.

'She never will be' I assured him.

We were led across the house into a conference like room. It was similar to the room where I held my meetings. It was a plain cream color with a large table taking up most of the room followed by leather office chairs. My eyes scanned over the men at the table starting with the future Alpha, then to Jamie's father who was, in fact, the current Beta, Trent and lastly to Carter who was glaring at me with much more hate than ever before.

'It was a nice touch to bring Heather, it really shows what kind of a guy you truly are' he taunted me glancing at Heather briefly. I knew he was just trying to get a rise out of me especially when his eyes shifted down to her exposed legs.

A hearty snarl escaped my lips echoing against the walls which only brought more attention to me and made me look unstable just like he had planned. Though it wasn't his wandering eyes that bothered me hell he could have Heather for all I care it was the fact that he would do that when he had an absolutely perfect girl wanting him.