She shrugged "Everyone is"

"What if I'm one of the anonymous heroes? "

Cleo coughed, almost choking on her juice.

"Say what?!" she blurted

He was surprised at her reaction
but shrugged
"I'm just saying"

She laughed
"That's a good one. You? A ninja? You cherish your precious body like gold. I think they are much cooler"

He looked at her suspiciously
"You sound like you know them. Do you?"

She smiled
"I wish. I'm just as curious as everyone"

"Hmm. Okay" he didn't sound convinced

She glanced at him. He suspected her.

Better ignore him, she thought

He was not in anyway gullible. He was looking at her curiously. His chocolate brown eyes wide. He looked like a five old trying to figure something out. He looked so cute.

He should stop that! Cleo yelled mentally. Blood rushed to her cheeks. She was blushing like a fool. He laughed. He did it on purpose.

"You look so cute Cleo"

"Stop that"

"Why?"he asked innocently. With him acting like that it's so hard to be mad at him. She took her half empty cup, leaving before she made a bigger fool of herself. She heard Jordan calling her name.

"Bye Cleo"

She walked briskly. Her heart beating fast in her chest.

What's wrong with me?!

                      ****

Back at the dojo, Sensei was angry. No, angry was an understatement. He was livid. He scolded Chris while Anida snickered. Chris had his head low the entire time. He messed up big time. It took an amazing amount of self control not to hit Chris. Sensei shook with fury.
He dismissed Chris before he lost it. Cleo knew Anida enjoyed this. She had no idea why Anida detested Chris but they were friends. She sighed. She looked for Chris. His room was further down the hall. She knocked.

"Leave me alone! " he yelled. His voice slightly cracked.

Was he crying?

"It's me. Cleo. Open up. Please"

He hesitated for a bit before  opening the door. His eyes were puffy and his nose red. He wiped his tears but his cheeks were still wet.
Cleo felt really bad for him. She hugged him. He hugged her back. After that scolding, Cleo admitted she'd be like Chris. Her grandpa could really destroy someone. His words felt like sharp daggers that literally split you in half. She winced as she remembered the tongue lashing Chris received. He sniffed drawing back from her.
He smiled awkwardly "Funny seeing me like this"

"This is the first time I've seen you cry. I'm really sorry. "

"Why are you apologizing? It's not like you caused it. And besides" he held her hands "Thank you"

"For what?"

"Caring. That's really nice"

"It's the least I could do. But seriously. Don't take things too lightly. Anida is right. You joke a lot"

He groaned "You're on her side"

"I'm on no one's side. It's just I don't want to see you cry again"

Chris smiled"You wouldn't. Now, I'm hungry "